Cat Peeing on countertops

KayleeMae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello All,
I have two cats in my household. My cat Clementine has started to pee on my countertops. This is very unusual for her because she is a very well behaved kitty. I have changed litters to see if that was the issue but she was still peeing on the counter. I finally took her to the vet and she was given meds to take at home. I have been giving the meds just as told for 4 days now and thought we were in the clear. I woke up this morning to find pee all over my countertops dripping down on my cabinets and onto the floor. I'm at a loss and don't know what to do, I spent a good amount of money to take her to the vet and pay for meds to still have her peeing in my kitchen. Does anyone have advice or may know what's going on?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KayleeMae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sometimes they get along and other times they don't. Clem is much smaller than my other cat poppy, so when they don't get along clem is always growling at poppy.

KayleeMae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
dominance issues between your cats?
Sometimes they get along and other times they don't. Clem is much smaller than my other cat poppy, so when they don't get along clem is always growling at poppy.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
just a guess on my part but i bet poppy is bullying clem then or stressing her to where she doesnt feel safe using the litter box i seen it happen with my sisters 3 catsprobably add another litter box for sure and if you can observe your cats i used to catch the big mal cats following the tiny female cat"stalking" her everytime she would go to use the litter box all they would do is sit out side the box staring at her kinda like with that puffed out chest look i am bigger than you bully posethen the growling would begin from the female cat the just leave me alone warning until the fighting would begin soon after if they were not seperatedwe had to keep the bigger males seperated from the female anytime none of us were around again just guessin on my part it just seems like you have a situation like my sister had at my dads when i lived there still but more litter boxes probably would make a difference and keep an eye on them so clem doesnt get beat up or stressed to mentally by poppy

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. What tests were done at the vet and what kind of meds was Clem put on? If she was determined to have a UTI, and the meds are antibiotics, then it could take longer for them to eradicate the infection. And, if the antibiotics are NOT the most effective for Clem's type of infection, then they may not entirely clear the infection. Both the infection and the proper type of antibiotics would have to be determined through a urinalysis and a urine culture.

Aside from an infection, which can also be brought on by stress, has there been any changes in your home or new issues between the two cats that could explain this change in behavior by Clem? How old are these cats, and how long have they been together?

Also, if she is peeing in the exact same spot, it could be that her urine scent is still there, which can serve to act as an 'invitation' to go there again and again. Enzymatic cleaners are the best for removing urine smells. Fizzion or SCOE10x might be your best options, as they are both safe on all surfaces, including wood. Both can be purchased on line.

As mentioned above, adding at least one more litterbox to your home might help as well. Sometimes, cats preferences change and they can become more picky about using a litterbox with too much 'stuff' in it. Some even get to the point that they want to use one box for peeing and another for pooping. The general rule of thumb is 1 box per cat, plus one - so, in your case that would be a total of 3. It would also be a good idea to keep a watch on the litterbox usage by both cats just to see if that would shed any light on the issue.

KayleeMae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
just a guess on my part but i bet poppy is bullying clem then or stressing her to where she doesnt feel safe using the litter box i seen it happen with my sisters 3 catsprobably add another litter box for sure and if you can observe your cats i used to catch the big mal cats following the tiny female cat"stalking" her everytime she would go to use the litter box all they would do is sit out side the box staring at her kinda like with that puffed out chest look i am bigger than you bully posethen the growling would begin from the female cat the just leave me alone warning until the fighting would begin soon after if they were not seperatedwe had to keep the bigger males seperated from the female anytime none of us were around again just guessin on my part it just seems like you have a situation like my sister had at my dads when i lived there still but more litter boxes probably would make a difference and keep an eye on them so clem doesnt get beat up or stressed to mentally by poppy
Thanks so much for the advice. I will defiantly go and get another litter box and try that out.

KayleeMae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. What tests were done at the vet and what kind of meds was Clem put on? If she was determined to have a UTI, and the meds are antibiotics, then it could take longer for them to eradicate the infection. And, if the antibiotics are NOT the most effective for Clem's type of infection, then they may not entirely clear the infection. Both the infection and the proper type of antibiotics would have to be determined through a urinalysis and a urine culture.

Aside from an infection, which can also be brought on by stress, has there been any changes in your home or new issues between the two cats that could explain this change in behavior by Clem? How old are these cats, and how long have they been together?

Also, if she is peeing in the exact same spot, it could be that her urine scent is still there, which can serve to act as an 'invitation' to go there again and again. Enzymatic cleaners are the best for removing urine smells. Fizzion or SCOE10x might be your best options, as they are both safe on all surfaces, including wood. Both can be purchased on line.

As mentioned above, adding at least one more litterbox to your home might help as well. Sometimes, cats preferences change and they can become more picky about using a litterbox with too much 'stuff' in it. Some even get to the point that they want to use one box for peeing and another for pooping. The general rule of thumb is 1 box per cat, plus one - so, in your case that would be a total of 3. It would also be a good idea to keep a watch on the litterbox usage by both cats just to see if that would shed any light on the issue.
Yes, clementine was said to have a UTI. She was given a shot at the vet and I was sent home with antibiotics to give her twice a day.
I do currently have an enzymatic cleanser that I used to clean up her messes but I'm not against looking into other ones. I will check out the ones you suggested and get one on amazon. I will be giving the antibiotics a little more time to work as well as investing in another litter box, Thanks so much for your help. I hope things work out because clementine hates going to the vet it really works her up.

felinelover2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know it isn't the most appealing long-term solution, but maybe temporarily add a litterbox to the countertop?

If she uses that, then start moving it away (the floor near the countertop) - and if the problem starts again then she probably doesn't feel safe using the current litterboxes, so just play around with placement, etc until you find something that works...

KayleeMae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know it isn't the most appealing long-term solution, but maybe temporarily add a litterbox to the countertop?

If she uses that, then start moving it away (the floor near the countertop) - and if the problem starts again then she probably doesn't feel safe using the current litterboxes, so just play around with placement, etc until you find something that works...
Thanks that's a good idea. I will use that if the others don't work!