Cat Peeing On Clothes

KutiePie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 3 cats, all female. I have 3 cat boxes, 2 in the basement, and 1 upstairs. They have access to all 3 at all times day and night. One of my cats continually pees on clothes, whether they are clean clothes in the basket, or dirty clothes left on the floor. I have lids on all my laundry hampers, but I also have 5 children and at some point during the day there will be clothes or towels or something that the cat will find and pee on. I've tried everything. I have 2 litter boxes that are automated, so that the poo is scooped away. I use cat attract litter to help attract them back to the boxes. I'm starting to feel done. She's not sick and has no urinary problems. I'm at the point of just getting rid of her. I can't keep doing this everyday. I have enough to do with children. Any suggestions? I'm at my wits end.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KutiePie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, all our cats are spayed.

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 2 thoughts...

First, for the boxes, try doing away with the "automated" bit for awhile. With 3 cats, a litter box is going to be a very socially important thing...it should have some evidence of usage by the other cats most of the time. As long as they are scooped daily (or twice daily, depending on your sensitivity, and your kids' willingness to scoop), they shouldn't noticeably smell outside of having just been used. Along this thought, be sure the litter boxes are in "socially important" areas. Down in the basement is really not good placement if no activity occurs there. What I'm saying is...you need a litter box in your family room. :-)

If the above doesn't help..what happens if you take some old (but clean) rags and put them in a litter box? If she won't pee on them, she may have some psychological hangup with peeing in the litter box, and you can maybe talk to your vet about medicating, even if it is just temporary, to help her get over that. If she does...I don't know what to suggest next. :-)

Loki_Lily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 thoughts...

First, for the boxes, try doing away with the "automated" bit for awhile. With 3 cats, a litter box is going to be a very socially important thing...it should have some evidence of usage by the other cats most of the time. As long as they are scooped daily (or twice daily, depending on your sensitivity, and your kids' willingness to scoop), they shouldn't noticeably smell outside of having just been used. Along this thought, be sure the litter boxes are in "socially important" areas. Down in the basement is really not good placement if no activity occurs there. What I'm saying is...you need a litter box in your family room. :)

If the above doesn't help..what happens if you take some old (but clean) rags and put them in a litter box? If she won't pee on them, she may have some psychological hangup with peeing in the litter box, and you can maybe talk to your vet about medicating, even if it is just temporary, to help her get over that. If she does...I don't know what to suggest next. :)

I totally agree with 5starcathotel. While both of my babies were fine with the automated box, I heard many cats do not like it, in fact it stresses them out. As you know, cats have unique personalities and behaviors, you will have to try things differently to find out exactly what is the cause of the problem. 2 reasons why I stopped using the automated one and switched back to the regular one.
1. The "collectibles" just sit there, yes hidden, but still there for at least a week or 2. I think because:redheartpump: of that, it does not mask the "smell" very well.
2. The automatic scoop thing that automatically runs back and fourth to push the "poopie" away. (I heard some cats are terrified of that noise)
I mostly stopped using it because my older one is very particular about his litter. He likes it clean and smelling good all the time (Don't ask me how I know, but I only have furrbabies, and I am very attached to them and understand their personalities very well)
Please please please.. do not give her away. Changing homes cause them stress. I know you have a lot going on with kids and 3 furrbabies. :alright: I promise you can do it! You will just have to find the cause and treat it. As 5starhotel mentioned, the litter box should be in a social spot. Maybe try using different types of boxes to see if it is the size of the box, the hood or the litter that is pushing her away. This may sound pure evil, but have you tried locking her in a room without clothes and stuff around with just a litter box, food and water? Maybe she will learn that way, or once you have moved the litter box to the social place, maybe treat the other 2 once they come out of their litter box to show her that you encourage their behavior? Talk to the vet?
Would love to hear updates about her!