Cat peeing on clothes. Losing my patience. I dont know what to do.

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone. So I have two 6 year old cats. Buddy and Jasper. They're litter mates. Buddy repeatedly pees on clothes, on my carpet, on my blankets & duvet.
This has been a problem for a long time. I've taken him to the vet for check ups and he was neutered when he was 2. I was homeless for a period of time from when they were two months old until they were two. They lived with a family member and I visited as often as I could. This family member also had an unneutered male who lived in the house. Buddy also peed in that house on clothing and such. I could never work out why. I thought maybe the presence of the other cat was the reason or just hormones because he isn't neutered and the vet suggested it may stop once he is neutered but it never did.

He used the litter box to poo and also pees in the box so I know he can and does use it. I wondered whether it was the type of litter so I've tried everything from clumping to wood to your normal cat litter and it doesn't make a difference. They have three different boxes dotted around the house varying in size and whether hooded or not hooded.

I also wonder if it's stress or anxiety related or if he is just spraying. He often walks around the house meowing and I can't figure out he reason. When I come over to him he doesn't lead me anywhere specific and doesn't seem to want petted either. He is a loving sweet and affectionate kitty. He's been checked over medically but I plan to take him again though I don't know what different e it would make as this isn't a sudden issue but a long term one.
I used enzyme cleaner on the carpet but eventually I had to rip up the flooring and replace the carpet as his constant peeing in one spot had saturated the carpet and flooring underneath.

I'm disabled & dont work so I can't afford to take him to a behaviourist right now but I'm saving up to afford it as I feel once medical stuff is ruled out I don't know what other options I have.

He seems to sometimes meow at me and wander around before it happens but doesn't do that every time. So I think I'm missing something but I can't work out what. I am also going to clean the boxes even more frequently than I do in case he is just very particular about his litter cleanliness. I also have feliway diffusers in case that would help. No change.

I'm so frustrated. Not at him, just the situation
There's obviously something I'm doing wrong or missing. I'm at a loss of what to try or do. I've been 4 years of this and I don't know what to do anymore.

Also his brother Jasper is absolutely fine. No spraying, no issues with behaviour, healthy happy cat. It's just Buddy. Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, he always has a home with me. I love him to death and would never part with him.

Last edited:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spraying looks different is my understanding. Have you seen it?

If its spraying, it likely started because of the late neutering. Its a dice roll when an unneutered mature cat starts spraying. Once they start, neutering doesn't necessarily fix it.

There are certainly solutions for peeing on clothing laying around or in laundry basket, and solutions for peeing on the comforter. Mostly deny access for a few weeks, break the habit. I've had those issues, and access denial really can starve the habit!
But the rug...if its not a UTI, thats tricky. There is an article in the article tab I believe. Off the top of my head, things that are recommended include putting a litter box over the favorite spot to pee, and using Cat Attract litter -- but def check out the article! Good luck!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I met a lady at the vet the other day who had that problem and for the past three years she said her solution was to buy several plain white tee shirts, cut them up, and put them on top of the litter in the litter box, rotating them out and washing them as they were used. She said her cat is happy because he gets to pee on cloth, and it beats him peeing on everything else. Unconventional, but on a budget it might work.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many cats find piles of clothes irresistible for peeing on. I've seen this in several different houses, different families with cats who never met each other so not learned from other cats. Once the clothes were off the floor it stopped. However, since your cat is getting other things, it may also be caused by a new cat outside. Check your front, back and side doors and any windows close to the ground from cat spray (black light, cheap ones will do, will show this to you.) Wash the spray off with enzyme cleaner or white vinegar. Keep checking every day. male cats form habits and mark their territory. It's to be hoped the outside cat, if there is one, will eventually decide vinegar cat is more determined. Jackson Galaxy has some videos that might help.

One other thing, mine did as yours and, also, sprayed down the heat vents. You might want to check that before you have to turn the heat on, again wash with vinegar or enzyme cleaner. Cat pee will, in time eat through duct work. I've lived with it and seen it.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If Buddy is peeing down the heat vents, cover the ones he uses with a cookie sheet. Put the side you'd put the cookies on down. If he doesn't leave it alone right away, put a good sized rock on it. It worked for us.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The peeing, spraying, vocalizing, possible anxiety and pacing around leading you nowhere makes me wonder if he's one of those cats that just needs some outdoor time and might benefit from a catio or any kind of outdoor space. How much space does he have indoors?
Is it possible there's another neighborhood cat coming over and bugging him by spraying your doors or staring at him through the windows?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine wasn't smart enough to go outside and the cat who was spraying our doors was a fighting fool, despite being fixed. My poor boy didn't have a chance against him and I never made him try.