Cat peeing on carpet

chekseathebaker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi friends. I have three cats (15, 14, and 3.5 years old), a husband and 2 year old. We moved to a new house about 5 months ago and we put new carpets in about 2 weeks after we moved in. Somebody wasn’t happy immediately about something and peed and pooped in our guest room, in front of our toddler’s room and in our owner’s closet. I was able to clean and close off the guest room and closet, but the area at the top of the stairs in front of my toddler’s room continued to be an issue.

I moved a litter box from the basement to our 2nd floor owner’s bathroom, figuring my oldest cat was having difficulty making it down two flights of stairs and he spends pretty much all day sleeping on our bed. That seemed to help, but then caught him after he peed peed in a new spot of “the area” one day, and found some new spikes spots in that area as well.

I cleaned, barricaded and then had that carpet replaced. The tack strips were replaced. I even put Killz down on the subfloor around the edges and trim where I could still smell urine.

Not 8 hours after I took the barricade down did I find a wet spot about 6 inches from the baseboard. I don’t know who it was.

At my wits end. My plan is to let the enzyme cleaner dry, remove the barricade and set up our garage security motion sensor camera to see who the culprit(s) is, and then take them to the vet to double check on any issues. They all had a clean bill of health this summer, and I don’t think it’s a UTI since it’s a full elimination. And it’s odd to me that that’s the only area of the carpet they go out of an entire floor of new carpet.

We did change litters to Kitty Poo Club also about 2 weeks after we moved so it could be that. That’s another thing I will try - having one box with the “old” unscented scoop litter we used before to see if that would appease them.
My girl cats get into it a bit but I’ve never seen aggression when one tries to go in the box. They all seem to really like the box in our bathroom so that’s where I can put the tester one.

2 boxes have always worked for them even though I know the recommendation is at least 3. We are very diligent about scooping/cleaning this new litter from Kitty Poo Club.
Thought about Felliway because there might still be stress from the move but nothing else seems amiss behaviorally- they all seem to have adjusted.
We did have another cat who chronically peed where she wasn’t supposed to, and later in life peed constantly on the carpet and she ended up having breast cancer in both her mammary chains, so part of me thinks this is a cry for medical attention. She died of infection after her second mastectomy so I hope it’s nothing serious like that with my others.

Thank you for making it this far. Any other ideas or thoughts are absolutely appreciated.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is it at all possible that your (currently unknown) culprit might be seeing/smelling outdoor cats through a window near that box? Someone may be screaming, "FILL THE MOAT, THE BARBARIANS ARE AT THE DOOR!" It's been known to happen.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
At my wits end. My plan is to let the enzyme cleaner dry, remove the barricade and set up our garage security motion sensor camera to see who the culprit(s) is, and then take them to the vet to double check on any issues. They all had a clean bill of health this summer, and I don’t think it’s a UTI since it’s a full elimination. And it’s odd to me that that’s the only area of the carpet they go out of an entire floor of new carpet.
My first thought was that perhaps the 'new carpet' is 'off-gassing' and the chemical smells are attracting the cats to that.
Even if we humans do not smell these chemicals, ...our cats probably can...since they are highly sensitive to Scents.
Though, this would not exactly explain 'why they go in a few particular spots'...and not others...unless again some type of previous smells/scents are attracting them to it.

Can you buy those 'puppy pee pads' and tape them down, to the carpet, in whichever spots you think the cats have peed or will pee.
This way, at least it will protect the new carpet, somewhat, ...until you find who is having this issue. :bluepaw:

Secondly, I do really think that you have to rule out a medical issue first...and a Vet visit with full bloodwork, urine analysis...would be called for.
Having a camera installed and knowing which of the cats it is
...would help you determine who to take to the Vets.
So your idea of setting up a 'security motion sensor camera' is awesome. :thumbsup:

Thirdly, I came across this online video recently, by Fundamentally Feline, in which she states that giving a B12 injection to a cat will alter the colour of their urine??
This is something I have never heard of...but it would be useful if you can phone and ask your Vet ...if this it true.
If your cat health checks out okay, ..and you still need to find out who it is...but cannot catch them on camera....then this might be a useful tool. Not sure...since only a Vet would know.
It's at the 1:10 mark in this video by fundamentally feline:

We did change litters to Kitty Poo Club also about 2 weeks after we moved so it could be that. That’s another thing I will try - having one box with the “old” unscented scoop litter we used before to see if that would appease them.
My girl cats get into it a bit but I’ve never seen aggression when one tries to go in the box. They all seem to really like the box in our bathroom so that’s where I can put the tester one.
I've never heard of 'Kitty Poo Club'...so if you don't mind explaining it a bit, it would be helpful?

If it's the 'cardboard type of litter box' that comes in the mail,...then yes...it may very be that one of the cats either does not like the shape, smell, texture...or the box...or else...the litter it contains.
You might be right about this causing the issues...(since I know that my cats like to play in cardboard boxes...so I don't think they would use them as litter boxes.) ...again, due to smell of cardboard or litter smell or texture.

Good luck to you. I hope all turns out well with the health of your cats, and that you are able to pinpoint what the issue is.