Cat peeing on carpet. Please help.

Manxiee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
Not too long ago I posted on here and did not think I was ever going to make a thread again, but here I am. My cat Asha has been peeing on the carpet for years now, she never had litter box issues until a little while after replacing the whole carpet. My mom is over it, she constantly complains that it smells and I always get yelled at, she’s threatening to kick both my cat and me out if she doesn’t get trained (I’m a college student, I can’t really afford to live on my own). We have tried litter box training her before and it worked for a while but she went right back to peeing on the carpet. I’m scared, I don’t want my mom to secretly get rid of my cat. Please help.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she spayed? How old is she? Get a black light and an enzyme cleaner. If she is adult mine are storage bins so twice the length of the cat and high. Lots of litter. What kind do you use? She may not like the litter. Anytime a cat goes pee out of the box, time for a vet check for uti.how many litterboxes does she have? One extra litterbox for every cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Manxiee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is she spayed? How old is she? Get a black light and an enzyme cleaner. If she is adult mine are storage bins so twice the length of the cat and high. Lots of litter. What kind do you use? She may not like the litter. Anytime a cat goes pee out of the box, time for a vet check for uti.how many litterboxes does she have? One extra litterbox for every cat
Thank you for responding,
I should have provided more info but I was a little shaken up from my mom. She is spayed, she is 10, she's been peeing for about 5 to 6 years now. I just have an open litter box that's inside a cage in my closet. I use “The Worlds Best Cat Litter” and she does seem to pee more in the litter box with it, just not all the time. She has been to the vet for a UTI once and was treated for it but continued the behavior. She has also been to the vet a lot this month for her surgery and check-ups and they did not mention anything about possible UTI. I do not have any other pets in the house and she only has one little box.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you scoop every day? The world's best cat litter is good but to me it stunk after being in the box a few days so maybe it's the different smell. Having another box would help.some cats like to move around,find a good spot to pee, don't like dirty litter boxes, like to pee in one,poo in another, don't like how the litter feels or smells,don't like the location.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Manxiee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you scoop every day? The world's best cat litter is good but to me it stunk after being in the box a few days so maybe it's the different smell. Having another box would help.some cats like to move around,find a good spot to pee, don't like dirty litter boxes, like to pee in one,poo in another, don't like how the litter feels or smells,don't like the location.
I actually do not scoop every day, if you think it'll help I'll focus on doing that. I read that putting the litter box in the places she is peeing can help train them to use the litter box but I feel like it would motivate her to pee in that spot more. Do you have any litter recommendations? Asha tends to be a bit sensitive to some litters, I don’t have much experience with different kinds but I know Tidy Cats caused her to loose fur on her far back (it grew back after switching litters). Should I get her a different litter box or maybe try multiple?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
More than one litter box and scooping every day would help. I use arm&hammer slide. It does not tract but some say it does. Dr elseys is popular. Lots of people will suggest pine but I think it stinks. This is one of my litter boxes. I have them where I am mostly at, bathroom,bedroom,and living room
20200719_164139.jpg

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I would actually clean twice a day if you are dealing with this issue. If it's been happening for a long time, it's going to be a bit harder to break her of the habit, but totally doable. I have a cat who had an awful urinating outside the box habit.

And yes, do put more litter boxes in the places where she is urinating illegally. It's so much better to have extra litter boxes than cat urine on the carpet. Some cats like to make the house smell like them because it makes them feel comfortable in their environment. Giving her more litter boxes and perhaps other ways to help her claim the space as her own will probably help her break the urine on carpet habit. (Things to scratch, a special blanket that smells like her, pheromones.) This will most likely make her feel more comfortable in your house.

Also, only having a litter box in a closet might not be the best option for a cat who has anxiety/illegal urinating issues. Some cats like to have their box in a more open area so they can keep an eye on things while they go to the bathroom. Even though you don't have any other animals, she might worry that she could get trapped while urinating in her box and is choosing locations that are more comfortable to her. Having an open box with a few exit and entrance options (Ie not pushed into a corner) can be a more optimal set up.

Good luck! I know it's hard, but try to keep the home atmosphere surrounding this issue positive as additional stress for the cat could mean additional illegal urine.