Cat peeing on carpet after blockage.

shirleyd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, my cat Snowy is 10 years old, and has suffered a severe urinary blockage about 3 weeks ago. After spending 3 days at the animal hospital, he came back home and was fine going back to his litter box. Since about a week ago however, he started peeing on our dining room carpet. When I carry him back to the litter box, he runs off right away. I also have another cat (Lacey) who uses that same box. I'm not sure if Snowy won't use it anymore because he can smell Lacey' s personal stuff there (although that did not seem to be an issue before), or because he may associate it with pain (although that wasn't the case right away either.) At this point, I don't know what to do, as my dining room intolerably smells like urine. I'm also exhausted and stressed. Any advice on how to get him to use his box again? Thank you...

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
You might be right that Snowy associates his box with pain and now is peeing in the dining room out of habit. It is important to use one of the enzymatic cleaners like Nature's Miracle to really get the urine smell out. Unless the urine molecules are actually broken down, cats can still smell urine and think it's okay to go there. You really have to drench the spot as it is necessary to get the carpet padding as well.

Also, how many litter boxes do you have? The rule of thumb is one per cat plus one. Another thing that might help is to use one of the litter attractants, like Dr. Elsy's Cat Attract. A lot of people report success with this product. You could try putting a box in the dining room to start and then gradually move it towards the appropriate spot.

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if maybe he's becoming painful again, since he came home and used the litter box until recently. What instructions did your vet give you regarding aftercare of a urinary blockage?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shirleyd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, Margd, I have followed your advice ;) Bought Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract, poured it over a new odorless litter, placed the box right in front of him - low and behold, he sniffed, hopped in and let the deluge out!!! I am so excited! Now I have placed it on the floor right next to the carpet area where he pees - keeping my fingers crossed that it'll work!! I did purchase the enzematic solution as well, cleaned the area out, and also placed a peepee pad over it just in case :/ Will keep you posted ;) Thank you for the help :)

shirleyd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought about the same, LotsOfFur. I therefore gave him a dose of his pain killer last week, but that did not seem to be the problem. I did make an appointment with the vet for this coming Tuesday, just to be on the safe side and have him checked. Praying that that is not the issue. Thank you for suggesting :)

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like things are moving in the right direction :)

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Fingers crossed that Snowy will go back to using his box permanently! I'm really glad to hear of such instant success. [emoji]128570[/emoji]

shirleyd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sure hope so! Thank you :)

dina25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mail cat had blockage problems also. After several runs to the 24-hour animal hospital to clear the full bladder with a catherer, I opted for the operation (unsure what it's called) on his penis that prevents this.  End of problem.  But he is on an epidermal medication (daily) , a small dab of creme inside his ear.  Probably will be for life.  Yet he seems completely fine now.  Would have been much cheaper to go for the operation right away.  I think it was around $700+.  But emergency room visits to clear his bladder were about $550 each.  And there were several of those.

But I can't stress how quickly you must get them to a vet if there is a blockage.