Cat peeing on babys stuff.

vitani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A friend of mine reached out to me for help because her 2 year old cat started going outside the litterbox as soon as they brought their new baby home a few months ago. He poops outside the box and he pees all over the baby's clothes, toys, car seat etc. All his stuff. She also adopted a second dog around that time. I am assuming the stress of all the changes and less attention is the culprit. Unfortunately the family have come up with another very serious personal issue and they do not have much energy to focus on correcting this behavior. They wish to rehome him but this is an issue for a cat with this behavior if change is what set it off, people dont want him. I recommended discussing anxiety meds with the vet, feliway plug ins to try if they can find the strength to keep trying, but does anyone have any suggestions on what to do here? I have read this is a common issue but in my experience litter box issues, when behavioral, are one of the top hardest things to correct next to aggression. I am worried for this cats future if a solution isn't found asap.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We did a feliway plug in after we brought our baby home because one cat was stressed. However, we didn't have any inappropriate elimination. I also gave that cat the space she needed, and upped treats for a positive association. She still doesn't like the baby, nine months in, but she's a lot better than where she was.

I'm not sure what to suggest. Adding another dog into the mix at the same time wasn't a great idea, and it makes me sad the cat would be the one kicked out over a newcomer.

Oh, we keep our car seat in the front closet so the cats can't climb in it. Anything they can keep out of reach of the cat, like toys put away when not in use, will keep them from being peed on.

Voidcat101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We did a feliway plug in after we brought our baby home because one cat was stressed. However, we didn't have any inappropriate elimination. I also gave that cat the space she needed, and upped treats for a positive association. She still doesn't like the baby, nine months in, but she's a lot better than where she was.

I'm not sure what to suggest. Adding another dog into the mix at the same time wasn't a great idea, and it makes me sad the cat would be the one kicked out over a newcomer.

Oh, we keep our car seat in the front closet so the cats can't climb in it. Anything they can keep out of reach of the cat, like toys put away when not in use, will keep them from being peed on.
Oh I agree. The cat has only been around a dog so they fostered a puppy and ended up keeping it too. In comes the baby(had no issues with the other young child that was already there when the cat was a kitten), and a very serious family emergency that has taken up much of their time. Normally I am very judgemental for people who give up on their animals because of a lifestyle change but I can see how everyone is stressed there. I do feel like there are things to be tried but I cant control their willingness to do it. I am assuming that this cat would be at risk of this behavior with a home change too and any stressors so will be difficult to rehome. I hope she takes my advice and talks with the vet about it.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is something to keep in mind. Marking in cat world means claiming, owning. If she could wash the baby that might do, but it's unlikely the parents let her wash the baby. By marking the baby's things the cat claims the baby as part of her family, someone for her to love and protect.

When she first moved in she went to great lengths to adjust to the family and the child who was there. The family brought in the new puppy and she adjusted to him being part of the family. Now there is a new baby. She's watched everyone with the baby just as she watched them when she arrived and when the puppy arrived. She's noticed everyone is focused on the baby. It's natural for her to adjust to the baby and the changes by focusing on the baby and showing everyone she really cares for it and wants it (claims it by marking the baby's things with her scent and stating her protection.) By doing this, in her mind, she will be doing what everyone else is doing and what they want.

Remember when she was first adopted she got the attention. Then the puppy came and she saw him get the attention. Cats are quick and some adjust fast. She saw the new member gets the attention and she's doing her best to do what everyone else is doing.

Last edited: