Cat peeing next to WATER bowl

pea245

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am REALLY getting sick of cat pee!!!!! First I had a kitty peeing next to litterbox and she got a trip to the vet and some antibiotics. We got the peeing stopped for about a week. Then outta nowhere one of them (we have 3 kitties) started peeing next to the water bowl. Tonight is the 3rd or 4th incident in 2 weeks. I am REALLY stressing out about this. I will NOT have my home smelling like cat urine!!! I have had these cats for several years and have never had problems like this. Does anyone have any idea why the cat would start peeing right next to the water? I mean RIGHT next to the water...it doesn't make sense to me at all. Also, it is nearly impossible to seperate the kitties to see who is doing it, especially if the one that is doing all the peeing ends up peeing in another room in my house.

Thanks,
Ashlee

kathryn41

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, a cat will normally avoid going to the bathroom near water and food unless there is something physically wrong. You may try putting a small litterbox temporarily near the water dish. I am wondering if one your kitties has a UTI with a fever that is causing the poor thing to drink but at the same time has to go to the bathroom. If any of them are overweight it is a possibility that this could be diabetes manifesting as well. Symptoms are increased urination and increased drinking - if the cat is drinking and absolutely has to go he will go right then and there because he just can't hold it in.

Make sure that the place is thoroughly cleaned with an enzyme cleaner to remove any of the traces of urine that cats can smell long after we think it is gone. You might try using a black light (available at most Pet supply companies for about $14).

You will have to pay attention to find out which cat it is. It may be more than one cat. The one who had the antibiotics may not have been completely cured of the previous infection (some antibiotics are not as effective as others) or you may have another one that has the infection as well.

A cat does not change its habits established over several years in such a radical manner without something - usually health related - causing it. You need to find out which it is to take to the vets.

Kathryn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pea245

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have an appointment for all of them on Wednesday. One of our cats is having a weight problem that I have been concerned about and needed to take her in anyway. So, hopefully we will find out what is wrong on Wednesday. I treated the spot where the urine is with Microdyne and the smell is gone. Hopefully they will not pee there anymore between now and Wednesday.

Thanks,
Ashlee