Cat Peeing In New House!!

MsCass

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Moved house 4 weeks ago, our male cat got out after a week and has gone missing :( been searching daily for him but no luck. Our female cat seems really settled here, she's always been a nervous cat but seems much more settled here. Came home from work to a smell of cat pee, litter trays are clean so checked the carpets and found a big absolutely soaking wet patch on the living room carpet. Bought a cleaner from pets at home and saturated the area. 2 hours later and she has just walked over and sprayed all up the side of the sofa and on the carpet in a different spot. Any idea why she could be doing this, how to stop it and also the best thing to neutralise the smell? Tia

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there! Sorry for your guy who is still missing - I hope you find him soon. But, with regard to your female, any sudden inappropriate peeing is a sign of a health issue - specifically a UTI. She needs to be checked via a urine sample, and depending on her age, a full blood panel.

Carpeting/rugs can be cleaned of the smell/stain with "The Equalizer" (amazon.com) with no saturation and little drying time. Probably also the side of a sofa that is fabric.

I hope you find your guy soon - he may have traveled back to your old area. In the meantime, check out health issues with you female cat by seeing a vet.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I'm so sorry!
Nature's miracle seems to work for me but there's also the Equalizer.
Try containing her to one room with litterboxes pee pads and plastic shower curtains on anything else and don't let her out til she's really consistent. Try a litter called Cat Attract.
She's stressed, you could look into calming products, there are a lot of them on the market other than feliway.

You could try low volume classical harp music, there is an app called Relax My Cat, there is MusicForCats.com and also George Handel compositions are known to help a cat to relax.

Also, you could try one of these, only a small selection of a fast-growing section of pet products;
Richard's Organics Pet Calm-those are drops that you put on the tip of the tongue. Also, Quiet Moments Cat treats, there is Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has a calming product, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.

Also Thunderease has diffusers as does Sentry.
You might want to check with your vet, but some people have good results with CBD oil, plus there are vet-prescribed calming products too.
Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, drsfostersmith, animaleo, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

There is a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking. The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

This discussion's post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

stayhomeclub

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really hope you find your boy soon.
Whatever you clean with, make sure it doesn't have ammonia as an ingredient because that will make the cats pee there again.
Vinegar is supposed to be good for cleaning cat pee. It neutralises the smell, as long as you don't mind your house smelling like a fish and chips shop.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jackson Galaxy just put out a video today regarding this. Maybe check out his YouTube video. If you've never been to his channel, just put his name in the search box.

For cleaning, about the only thing I've found that works wonders is SCOE 10x. Unfortunately, you can only order it online, but it's wonderful.