Cat Peeing From Jealousy?

teen(cat)mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend has been living with me for a couple of months and over the course of this time my cat has been peeing out of the litter box. He has plasma cell pododermatitis and when he’s had flare ups in the past, an occasional pee out of the litter box was no surprise due to the discomfort from his paws but it would stop when they were all healed. He did have a flare up a couple of weeks ago so I figured the urination out of the litter box was typical of him but he has since done it more frequently, including on my boyfriend and I’s clothes. His feet are about fully healed but just this morning he peed on my boyfriends bag filled with his clothes. Could this possibly be more of a jealousy issue?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Even if not jealousy, I'd almost bet that stress has a part in this. I'm going to give you links to some articles about both, as well as fixing box issues!

Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do)
Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory This holds true even it if is more urination that spray
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide

On the lighter side of things...I can't think of a faster way to train your BF to keep his things put away!

Let me know how this goes, please.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teen(cat)mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Even if not jealousy, I'd almost bet that stress has a part in this. I'm going to give you links to some articles about both, as well as fixing box issues!

Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do)
Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory This holds true even it if is more urination that spray
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide

On the lighter side of things...I can't think of a faster way to train your BF to keep his things put away!

Let me know how this goes, please.
I’m sure he will! Thank you and will do :)

teen(cat)mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would get him checked for a UTI. He might need antibiotics.
He hasn’t shown any signs of straining or frequent trips to the litter box when I do see him, my other cat actually just went into the vet for a UTI. He also has FLUTD so I didn’t even think about it, he was diagnosed about a year ago after mistaking his urinating for a UTI.

lre17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
you might try some feliway- perhaps your bf being there full time is stressing him out. also maybe have your bf try feeding your kitty some time-might help them bond

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats had a UTI and the only sign something was wrong was the he urinated on our recliner. He did not strain when this happened. The vet told me UTI’s can also present as a sudden urge to pee that does not allow time to get to the litter box. There may not be straining if this is the very beginning of symptoms.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When you mentioned that the urinating started at the same time your BF moved in, I focused on that, rather than physical issues, but a vet check is certainly a very good idea! And the earlier you catch things like that, the faster you can get them cleared up!

teen(cat)mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
you might try some feliway- perhaps your bf being there full time is stressing him out. also maybe have your bf try feeding your kitty some time-might help them bond
I’ll definitely try that, thank you!

teen(cat)mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is he eating a lot of dry food? Maybe try increasing his canned food.
No, since being diagnosed with flutd I did a ton of research and switched him to solely eating non-grain wet food. He still does have an occasional urination out of the litter box but since its always the same time he has his paw flare ups I just started to connect the two. Plus he’s been in and out of the vet, sometimes more than 3 times a month, since he was only 4 months old. Hoping for his sake and mine it is just jealousy and it will pass!

teen(cat)mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats had a UTI and the only sign something was wrong was the he urinated on our recliner. He did not strain when this happened. The vet told me UTI’s can also present as a sudden urge to pee that does not allow time to get to the litter box. There may not be straining if this is the very beginning of symptoms.
That’s very true. My other cat just got antibiotics for a UTI so I guess I just compared the two. Peter Parker has always been a difficult case with urinating out of the litter box, I always wonder if that specific occasion is a result of something else rather than his flutd. I’ll probably still bring him in to hopefully pinpoint the issue

teen(cat)mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When you mentioned that the urinating started at the same time your BF moved in, I focused on that, rather than physical issues, but a vet check is certainly a very good idea! And the earlier you catch things like that, the faster you can get them cleared up!
So did I. I’ll probably still bring him in just to make sure it’s not a UTI or anything serious. Used to the occasional accidents by now but hopefully if it is jealousy it will pass soon!

Friend's Friend

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've read about cats also peeing on their owners' things as a way of trying to (re)establish a harmonious relationship, or at least some sort of balance, by mingling their scent with the owners'. Maybe it is stress, but not necessarily a negative kind? Maybe it's your cat's way of trying to make a good impression . . . ish?

I'm grasping at straws here and it may well be a medical thing, or a negative-stress thing, but once I heard that cats can pee on stuff as a way to "make up" with their owners if they sense tension of one kind or another (even if the tension's not about them!), I've become intrigued . . . which is why I bring it up. ^_^ Food for thought, at least?

Please do keep us posted! <3