Cat peeing blood

Moonstonelove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone,
Yesterday morning I noticed pee outside the litter box so I wiped it up & noticed mucus in the pee. I have 5 cats so I had no clue who it could’ve been since this was all when we woke up. My husband & I went out pretty much the whole day & when I got home I checked the litter box & there was blood & then pinkish urine outside the litter box. Our male cat Dusty who is 4 years old followed in behind me & then squatted down to go pee. When he got up I looked at the pee & saw specks of blood of course it was 6 & the vet is closed so I couldn’t call & he is acting like his usual self eating, drinking (maybe just a bit more than usual) & playing with the other cats although the day before yesterday I did notice he was sleeping a bit more but I chalked it up to it’s rainy weather. I didn’t notice him going to the bathroom frequently yesterday either our senior cat just had a UTI about 2 months ago & she was going to the bathroom quite frequently. This morning he ate his wet food then I went into the bathroom to see if there was any blood but there was nothing & he followed in behind me again going pee. I inspected his pee but there was no blood at all I even cut the clump up (sorry I know that’s gross lol) Would that happen where there is pee in his blood one day but not the next? Now I’m thinking what if he peed in front of me yesterday but where he peed wasn’t a fresh spot I didn’t inspect that spot for freshness. I was thinking of monitoring all cats like following them to the bathroom before calling the vet. Any advice would be appreciated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moonstonelove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update already.
I followed my senior female cat Milkshake to the bathroom & when she was pushing to go poop a small stream of fresh blood came out & then poop but no blood in the poop. She is also acting like her usual self not hiding like she did with the prior UTI I’m just worried this is the second UTI for her in 2 months & she is a senior cat. I’m so glad I decided to monitor each cat because poor Dusty would’ve been going to the vet & it wasn’t even him peeing blood! Is there anyone out there with senior cats & UTIs what could suddenly be causing this? She gets feet Fancy Feast Classic Pate in the mornings & then they have Blue Buffalo dry food to eat. I do give them some Fancy Feast dry food as a treat because I had to get them off of Temptation treats about 2 years ago so I just give that as a little treat. They also always have clean water but they do go outdoors during the day so maybe she is drinking standin water that has bacteria. Any help would be appreciated I’m just waiting on the vet to open so I can call to get her seen today.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought you said when dusty peed there were specks of blood? It sounds like they both need ro go in and have their urine checked etc.

Moonstonelove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought you said when dusty peed there were specks of blood? It sounds like they both need ro go in and have their urine checked etc.
Hi,
I had thought so yesterday but I didn’t thoroughly check that area to see if there was pee there already (we had been out all day so I didn’t scoop the litter for the second time) because I was in the mist of cleaning up pee on the floor & then I didn’t scoop it to see. But he peed today & there was no blood I even cut up the clump with a flashlight to be super thorough, he isn’t taking frequent trips to the bathroom either. Milkshake however has been to the bathroom 3 times this morning & all 3 she is straining to go & has blood in it. I’m going to monitor Dusty some more but call first thing for Milkshake. Our vet is super good about getting us in right away so if anything I could always call them back.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Milkshake definitely needs to see the vet and Dusty might depending on what you determine....if I am reading this correctly.

Fiona developed repeated UTIs when she was about 9 and it was determined that there were bladder stones which were removed surgically. That ended the problem for the rest of her life. You might have to do some research with the vet to figure out what is going on.

This is more obscure, but blood can be seen in urine and then not seen again depending on the cause. To me, any blood in urine is a reason to see the vet.

Moonstonelove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Milkshake definitely needs to see the vet and Dusty might depending on what you determine....if I am reading this correctly.

Fiona developed repeated UTIs when she was about 9 and it was determined that there were bladder stones which were removed surgically. That ended the problem for the rest of her life. You might have to do some research with the vet to figure out what is going on.

This is more obscure, but blood can be seen in urine and then not seen again depending on the cause. To me, any blood in urine is a reason to see the vet.
Unfortunately our vet was closed today & I called another vet but they want her medical records which I cannot get because our vet is on vacation till tomorrow so I am getting her seen by the regular vet tomorrow to get to the bottom of this. Last time he checked her urine for crystals & it came back negative but I think further testing is needed. As for Dusty I do think he peed in a spot that had blood already there as it was on the floor in front of that spot. He is acting totally fine I watched him pee again & inspected it nothing in it & he isn’t visiting the litter often or drinking excessively like Milkshake is. So hopefully we have some answers tomorrow 🤞