Cat Peeing Blood

Etcheson99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is a problem I'm sure the site has seen before, and I've joined just to receive some input on my cat's situation and maybe get some opinions or suggestions as to what my family and I should do. This is a bad situation and is getting worse and worse.

My cat last year started to pee blood just a little bit. We were able to get it treated with some antibiotics we had from when one of my family members was sick, and for awhile, everything was fine. But leading into this year she started again, peeing blood outside our litterbox on to her mat. We didn't think too much of it because it was off and on and happened randomly, but soon we could tell she was having trouble urinating and that's when we took her to the vet. The vet, to put it frankly, was not much help. They suggested anti-anxiety pills. Those pills made things worse, actually, because every morning we would have to force her to take them (and she could detect them in her mixed up dry food and therefore would refuse to eat.) We had a previous cat with diabetes who needed an insulin shot and a pill, but that couldn't even compare to my current cat's behavior. She would hide from us almost all day when we got home and her behavior became more and more frustrating. Also, while at the vet's, they suggested a bag of food specially made for reducing bladder/kidney stones and crystals. We bought the bag of dry food for her and she's been a dry food only cat since she was about 2, maybe 3 (she's 7 right now) years old and when we got home, she didn't touch the food. We mixed it with her other food, tried to decrease the amount, increase it, but she wouldn't go near her food as long as the special food was in it. She starved herself for a couple days and still wouldn't eat. After she wouldn't eat that food and refused to take her pill, we returned to the vet.

This time, we bought special cans of wet food for my cat (suggested, again, by the vet.) And things went well. She ate her normal dry food and ate about half a can or a quarter of a can of the wet food, we switched her water from tap water to bottled water, and she improved. Afterwards, the number of times she peed blood decreased, only here and there, and sometimes she would go a week or more with normal urination. She was on this food for a few months but then suddenly, she refused to eat it. We noticed it, how she wouldn't eat all of it in her bowl, and even reducing the amount didn't help. She was given dry food at night after we got home and had wet food when we woke up. In all, she refused to eat the wet food anymore, but by that time, she no longer peed, and when she went in for a scan, her crystals were smaller, nearly gone, and that was that. She wouldn't eat anything for a special diet.

Come middle of summer and she started to pee blood outside the box again. This happened occasionally even on her special food, but again, became more and more frequent. Eventually we moved her to Frisky's canned food so she could get the moisture from it, which she is still on currently.

She didn't pee anywhere else outside the box until about two months ago.

Two months ago, we started to find blood on our carpet, obviously from my cat. We promptly cleaned it up and she continued to pee inside the box and outside with blood. But then, she started to pee more and more on our carpet, to the point where she would do it every day. She started to do it outside my dad's door in the morning before he got up to feed her. Always in the same spot. She still peed normally inside the box, too. But this month has been. . . awful. She pees blood at least 2 times a day, and she's done it up to 5 times. Just these past two weeks she has barely used her litterbox for peeing. It's all been on our floor. She does it in front of us, and no matter how many times we push her away or yell at her, she won't stop. Every day we wake up to trails of bloody urine and it's getting harder and harder to clean up and the smell of urine is so strong when you crouch close to the floor. We're doing what we can to clean it, but at this point, we're just so lost. We don't know what to do. We live in an apartment and that alone is not good. She's even gone so far as to pee on the walls and even our blinds. It's everywhere at this point on the carpet.

Money is a problem everyone has but we really don't have the money. The next step was surgery, about $800 or more, which we obviously can't afford. Even a normal vet's visit costs too much. There's not even a guarantee that the surgery will work for the rest of her life! At this point, we're considering taking her to the vet again, maybe trying a different one, but we're afraid they're just going to suggest surgery and we can't afford that. Everyone has expenses to pay for and unfortunately, there are things that take more priority than our animal, as much as I hate to say it. I love my cat but I am so, so frustrated, and so is my dad. Yeah, cats are jerks normally, and I love her, but this situation can't continue. We don't know what to do. We can't afford the bills of a surgery. My dad wants to get rid of her, but nobody will take a blood-peeing cat like her, and I've just started thinking of saying goodbye to her and putting her to sleep. I would like to avoid that option, but she is in pain and we might not be able to alleviate that pain. She's so stubborn that I don't think any food options or special diets will ever help in the long run and vets aren't so ready to prescribe antibiotics, which is also frustrating, or suggest other options besides surgery.

I don't want to put her to sleep, and I hate considering that as an option, but it is. She's so young and she's my cat. I would really appreciate some outside opinions from fellow cat lovers and listen to other experiences with this. :(

Ronboof

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did the vets actually give you a diagnosis? I cant see that there in the post. It sounds like a UTI and she'll be in pain and trying to show you that theres something wrong by publicly doing something cats are normally private about. As a human I have had them and they are hell, if this is what is wrong she needs antibiotics asap.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I second the opinion that it's recurrent UTIs and she will be in pain. She really does need antibiotics. What is the surgery the vet was suggesting?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She probably needs antibiotics. Then see if you can give her mostly the Friskies canned food. Can you give her a full can of Friskies per day, half in the morning and half at dinner? If you give her any dry food, make sure it's 1/3 cup or less, measure it out. That's what I have to do with my two cats. They get a UTI on only half a cup of dry food, so I have to be very careful.

Last edited:

bookends

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also think it might be a UTI. Some cats get chronic bladder infections and UTIs. Ask the vet to run a urine test to see if it has crystals in it. This can tell if its an infection or not. You might have to put them on prescription UTI food for a long while, which is a little expensive, but cheaper than surgery. They should also be put on antibiotics if that is the case. Also look for UTI wet food in petco or petsmart, it helps with the same things and might help with the urination problem in general. (For the peeing outside of the litter pan it might be stress, and that is something that will have to be retrained)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Etcheson99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did the vets actually give you a diagnosis? I cant see that there in the post. It sounds like a UTI and she'll be in pain and trying to show you that theres something wrong by publicly doing something cats are normally private about. As a human I have had them and they are hell, if this is what is wrong she needs antibiotics asap.
They did a scan (X-Ray I believe) and said she had crystals and/or small stones. I can't remember off the top of my head what the scan showed exactly, because I wasn't the one who saw them. The vet we went to didn't suggest antibiotics and in fact actually seemed to be against suggesting them. We asked if we could use antibiotics for my cat, and the vet instead wanted to try the diet-- which is a little off-putting, to be honest. You'd think they'd give antibiotics if we said they worked before...

Etcheson99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I second the opinion that it's recurrent UTIs and she will be in pain. She really does need antibiotics. What is the surgery the vet was suggesting?
They were suggesting to remove the stones themselves. They didn't go into the specifics of the surgery, but that's basically the gist.

She probably needs antibiotics. Then see if you can give her mostly the Friskies canned food. Can you give her a full can of Friskies per day, half in the morning and half at dinner? If you give her any dry food, make sure it's 1/3 cup or less, measure it out. That's what I have to do with my two cats. They get a UTI on only half a cup of dry food, so I have to be very careful.
We actually tried to give her half a can and she wouldn't eat it. The wet food would sit out from around 6am-4pm and with half a can, she didn't eat all of her food, and yet a third of a can is too little for her and she'd complain about it. That's also the frustrating part. :( We know she needs more wet food, and she's been drinking more water lately, but she won't eat more than a third of the can even if it's left out all day.

Etcheson99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also think it might be a UTI. Some cats get chronic bladder infections and UTIs. Ask the vet to run a urine test to see if it has crystals in it. This can tell if its an infection or not. You might have to put them on prescription UTI food for a long while, which is a little expensive, but cheaper than surgery. They should also be put on antibiotics if that is the case. Also look for UTI wet food in petco or petsmart, it helps with the same things and might help with the urination problem in general. (For the peeing outside of the litter pan it might be stress, and that is something that will have to be retrained)
Thank you for the suggestion, but we're weary of buying new food for UTIs or crystals because she stopped eating the wet food that helped and she refused to eat the dry food. The wet food really did help, but she's stubborn and stopped eating it for some reason. Again, she preferred to starve herself rather than eat that food. I replied above about antibiotics and the vet's reluctance but I guess we'll have to go elsewhere for actual help.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Struvite stones can be dissolved with a urinary tract food containing d-methionine. Calcium stones cannot be dissolved and have to be blasted by a laser or surgically removed. D-methionine should only be used at the levels in urinary foods for a short time, because high doses longer term can actually create calcium stones.

Not all UTI's are bacterial. Some are viral. Antibiotics are ineffective for viral infections. Still, if she has not had a course of antibiotics in a while and they helped the last time, I'm not sure it would hurt to try another round.

I would clarify with your vet which type of stones they think your kitty has and which type of infection they believe she has. Vets often don't communicate well with us because they think most of they information they have is too complicated for us to understand. Ask your vet lots of questions.