Cat peeing all over house

chai love

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For maybe the past year, my cat Chai has been peeing in random places. She started out peeing on my yoga mat, then over time progressed to peeing on the carpet, laundry basket, my son's toy basket, christmas tree skirt, and the pet bed. She's normally a very well behaved cat so I have no idea what's possessed her. Nothing major changed in our house when she started this. The litter box is cleaned every other day and she's been sharing it with our other cat for about 2.5 years. She's ruined so many things in this house and I'm desperate to get her to stop! What could be causing this?

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd start with blood work at the vet. I had a cat that acted normal in every way, except for the inappropriate urination. Diabetes, CRF, UTI's, and old declawing are common reasons for cats not always using the litter box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chai love

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd start with blood work at the vet. I had a cat that acted normal in every way, except for the inappropriate urination. Diabetes, CRF, UTI's, and old declawing are common reasons for cats not always using the litter box.
I was afraid of that. I really hope it's not because of some illness but if she needs to see the vet, then I'll take her.

baconman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
perhaps try getting a second litter box. I'm not sure if your cat has a certain room or place it likes to be but sometimes cats just decide not to share anymore. I have two and something similar happened with them. I got a second box and put it in the laundry room away from the other box and it seemed to help a lot. Also don't leave clothes out, esp on or low to the floor. Don't know if you do that but I do lol. As for the other spots where she pees, make sure to clean them very well. I have found in the past that once they pee in a spot, the smell brings them back. Best of luck to you. I hope it is not something health related as stated in the other post but it is important to explore that root as well. Also try changing her diet. Some cats don't do well with certain foods. Even after eating them for some time. My sisters cat couldn't eat any food with corn in it. I know it maybe a pain but it might be worth looking into something like bluebuffalo food. I think thats what my sister uses.

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that she needs to see a vet. Urinating outside of the litter box is often a way of communicating illness or discomfort. That said, I also agree that two cats need at least two litter boxes. And an enzyme cleaner should be sprayed wherever she's gone outside of the box.

chai love

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

perhaps try getting a second litter box. I'm not sure if your cat has a certain room or place it likes to be but sometimes cats just decide not to share anymore. I have two and something similar happened with them. I got a second box and put it in the laundry room away from the other box and it seemed to help a lot. Also don't leave clothes out, esp on or low to the floor. Don't know if you do that but I do lol. As for the other spots where she pees, make sure to clean them very well. I have found in the past that once they pee in a spot, the smell brings them back. Best of luck to you. I hope it is not something health related as stated in the other post but it is important to explore that root as well. Also try changing her diet. Some cats don't do well with certain foods. Even after eating them for some time. My sisters cat couldn't eat any food with corn in it. I know it maybe a pain but it might be worth looking into something like bluebuffalo food. I think thats what my sister uses.
Both my cats eat Blue Buffalo. Chai was overweight and their dry food helped to get her back to a healthy weight. It's funny you mention a pile of clothes, because she peed on some the other day!

chai love

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I agree that she needs to see a vet. Urinating outside of the litter box is often a way of communicating illness or discomfort. That said, I also agree that two cats need at least two litter boxes. And an enzyme cleaner should be sprayed wherever she's gone outside of the box.
I've used Nature's Miracle in the past and it's always worked pretty well but there was one area of the carpet it didn't help. We had to rip out the carpet, padding, and seal the subfloor it was so bad. Luckily, the smell is gone now and I keep that room closed off so Chai can't get in there. I'll be making a vet appointment for her soon.