cat peeing again! don't know what to do anymore!

venusgirltrap

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has had an on and off problem of peeing out of the box since 6 mo old when she got a UTI. Now I know now she doesn't have one because I monitor her input and output and behavior and my vet has helped me (after 6 neg results) to see the signs and realize she is just picky. We have her in a spare bedroom because her and the dog don't get along and she has been peeing in the closet track (where the door should be, but there are no closet doors) I scrubbed the best I could but since there are little crevacies it's really hard to get it very clean and it still smells.

Should I lock her in the bathroom and re litter train her for a few days while trying to get her room 100% clean...I'm at my wits end and we have no place (besides the bathroom) to keep her with no carpeting. I've read every article about litter boxes and peeing outside of the box...we have a big box with no top on it and she continues to do it.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What litters have you tried so far? Have you tried the cat attract brand or the additive?

Have you tried a couple different types of boxes?

Is she kept on a prescription food for UTI issues?

Have you tried anything to help with stress from of the dog? Such as rescue remedy and feliway diffusers. And more importantly what are you going to do about this situation for long term?

(note: I'd rather ask what you've done so far than come in an repeat everything you've already tried.)

To clean the closet track out, soak it down with an enzyme cleaner, leave it for a while then come back and use a tooth brush and paper towel to get into the smaller parts. Soak the carpet down, too. Though if she's repeatedly used a spot your carpet padding may need to be replaced ( you can usually save the carpet if you clean it well enough) and any subiflooring may need sealing. You have to completely get rid of the urine scent.
You could also try laying down plastic carpet runner around the litter boxes and her favorite places to go, to help protect the carpet.
This along with your retraining her may fix things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

venusgirltrap

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

What litters have you tried so far? Have you tried the cat attract brand or the additive?

Have you tried a couple different types of boxes?

Is she kept on a prescription food for UTI issues?

Have you tried anything to help with stress from of the dog? Such as rescue remedy and feliway diffusers. And more importantly what are you going to do about this situation for long term?

To clean the closet track out, soak it down with an enzyme cleaner, leave it for a while then come back and use a tooth brush and paper towel to get into the smaller parts. Soak the carpet down, too. Though if she's repeatedly used a spot your carpet padding may need to be replaced ( you can usually save the carpet if you clean it well enough) and any subiflooring may need sealing. You have to completely get rid of the urine scent.
You could also try laying down plastic carpet runner around the litter boxes and her favorite places to go, to help protect the carpet.
This along with your retraining her may fix things.
I use the cat attract additive, but I was going to try the actual litter next. I keep a feliway plug-in in her room. We haven't done anything about the dog long-term; we've tried introuducing them, but it just goes badly and they have 'met' a few times uncontrolled and it ends up with the dog chasing the cat. The cat is only confined from 6pm-11pm everynight while the dog is out.

She's not on RX food, the UTI was about 3 years ago and everytime since then all tests have come clear so the DR says no need. She eats wellness canned and nutro dry which both are within the guidelines for urinary health.

I think I might take her to a new 'cat' vet I heard about. My vet always says she's clear and doesn't address how to fix this behavior...maybe I need a new perspective, even if she is 'clear'.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

venusgirltrap

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And we have the carpet runners, but she pees on top of them, next to them, etc etc. We're going to go this weekend and cut a big piece for the whole closet and stick it over the entire area she peed on.

If I can't do anything about the carpeting pad right now is that the best solution?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's just in the closet... I'd honestly pull the carpet back and toss the padding out.
But that's just me, I have an extremely sensitive nose and if there was any urine left in it, I'd smell it. Of course if you go this way, have the plastic runner ready as that takes away a slight layer of protection between the carpet and floor (mind you old padding is next to useless). You still have to get the carpet clean and urine naturalized with a good enzyme cleaner.

That she's peeing on top of plastic isn't good. It either means that she has a UT problem, or that the smell and her behavior is so ingrained that she's not stopping.

I wish you luck with the new vet. A second opinion could help. Do give some thought to a UT food and discuss it with the vet at length or with the new one. It might not hurt to give it a trial for a few months and see what happens.

Do try the litter. Maybe go get a larger box, too. Such as an underbed storage bin that's more shallow but very large. Offer them both, side by side if need be. Maybe she'd prefer to pee and poop in separate boxes.

Even though you're trying to work the dog situation out, it's still going to be an issue. I honestly suggest you consider finding a behaviorist to help you through this so that it doesn't get more out of hand. Even though you have them separated, they'll both smell each other and that's enough to set off touchier kitties.

Another idea you might consider is looking into adding a small enclosure up against one of the bedroom windows with free access to it through the window. Maybe if she could go outside to pee she'd like it better and she'd feel less stressed.
This all depends on the area you live in, though.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

(note: I'd rather ask what you've done so far than come in an repeat everything you've already tried.)
If she is clear of UTI, I absolutely agree that the living situation needs to be addressed. Keeping her closed off in a room doesn't relieve her of the threat and constant anxiety from the dog who is on the other side of a door. Also being kept pent up in a room with little interaction creates more stress.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

If she is clear of UTI, I absolutely agree that the living situation needs to be addressed. Keeping her closed off in a room doesn't relieve her of the threat and constant anxiety from the dog who is on the other side of a door. Also being kept pent up in a room with little interaction creates more stress.
Unfortunately, my guess is that this is a large contributing factor.