Cat peed on my bed twice since we got her!

tinysalmon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think my cat peed on my bed and this is the second time I noticed!

The first time was when I first got her two weeks ago and we contained her in my room. I felt she was distracting during the night, climbing on things and I always kept an eye open to observe her. So one night I slept in my parent's room and left her alone in mine. She was probably mad at me for leaving her alone, because I found a urine stain like a day or two later! I'm not sure when she did it though, but I let it slide.

This morning, as I was making my bed, I found a yellow stain again! But I don't know when she did it again. But I can't figure out the reason for the second time, assuming that my first theory is correct (leaving her alone all night), because I have been sleeping in my room every day, and since school hasn't started yet I've been at home a lot, sitting with her, petting her, playing with her. I'm not sure if it was when I was vacuuming my parent's room two days ago, and it scared her and she ran to my room.

What bothers me is I don't know when she did it, so I don't know what exactly I did at the time. Both times were on the side where my head is as opposed to where she usually sleeps, which is the foot of the bed. Actually, ever since we started leaving my door open so she can roam around, she's been hanging out in my parent's room a lot and sleeping on their bed, but visits me occasionally. She is our only cat, female, 1.5 years old, indoor only, active, she's been using her litter box regularly (2-3 times a day) for both #1s and #2s, and I've been cleaning regularly. She's been eating her food. Overall, I think she adjusted to the new family/house well.

This is so frustrating! I am going to tell my friend about this to see what she says and if she can help take her to the vet with me. But in the meantime, what could be the problem??! How can I fix this??

cyndersmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
how old is she? she might be a bit too young to make it to a litter box,so you should have multiple litter boxes in your room. and if she seems to be going to the litter box alot and licking her genitals alot then she might have a uti, you should take her to the vet just to get her checked over. my cynder was way too young for me to have him (now i know) and i had to actually stimulate him with a warm cottonball then put him in the litter box to go. the other thing is she might be stressed out as she is in a new place and you left her alone, to her you are mummy.. keep showing her the box and putting her in there and also get more litter boxes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinysalmon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cyndersmom

how old is she? she might be a bit too young to make it to a litter box,so you should have multiple litter boxes in your room. and if she seems to be going to the litter box alot and licking her genitals alot then she might have a uti, you should take her to the vet just to get her checked over. my cynder was way too young for me to have him (now i know) and i had to actually stimulate him with a warm cottonball then put him in the litter box to go. the other thing is she might be stressed out as she is in a new place and you left her alone, to her you are mummy.. keep showing her the box and putting her in there and also get more litter boxes.
She's 1.5 years old. She uses the litter box regularly for #1s and #2s, so I don't think the trek to the box which is at the foot of my bed is the problem...

The only time I see her licking her genitals is when she cleans herself elsewhere too, so I'm assuming she is just doing her cleaning routine. I haven't seen her excessively clean only that one area yet......

I don't really think it is a UTI because I find at least one or two clumps of pee in her box every day, I don't see her excessively cleaning her genitals, the stains have been light yellow with no blood, I don't think I hear her crying... I never heard her cry before, just meow when she wants a treat.

Even though I've been cleaning her litter box twice a day, could it be that it's about time to change the litter? Maybe her enclosed litter box smells even when there is no poo or urine in it. Right now I am leaving it open and letting the air vent out, but I am trying to wait until friday to change the litter so I can be consistent every three weeks (the last time we put new litter was on a friday the 12th.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinysalmon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, her previous owner said she never peed on their bed before. So they were surprised to hear about it the first time it happened.

cyndersmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
she might be mad at you,or you need to change her litter box as it smells. it also could be the litter brand you are using,she may not like it. First try cleaning the litter box,if thats not it try changing litter. She may be a picky cat who wants one box for peeing in and another for pooping in so i would suggest getting another litter box and putting it somewhere else in your room.