Cat peed on couch!

kyface

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My neutered male 2 yr old cat peed on the couch, either last night or sometime this morning. He was acting a bit out of sorts this morning, he is usually a very vocal cat, but his meowing woke me up several times early this morning, I ended up closing the door to my bedroom so I could get back to sleep, probably a bad decision in hindsight. My grandma was also over last night so that might have stressed him out. (she's not exactly a cup of tea; and he did pee relatively close to where she was sleeping)

When I got up, I went over to the couch and picked up the blanket laying there and noticed it was wet, I soon found it was pee. I was shocked because neither of my cats have done anything like this before, they are both very well mannered. I cleaned it up and went on with my day.

I figured out who the culprit was (Thor) because he kept inching over the couch and sniffing that area like he knew it was there, while the other cat remained completely unaware all day. My SO was sitting on the couch with him earlier and he went to pet him and Thor nearly jumped out of his skin (he's obviously guilty).

Anyway, I'm going to keep an eye on him for a urinary infection, I've been there before with the other one so I know what it looks like, it just doesn't seem like its the case with him (he's not in pain, he's not antisocial, eating fine, peeping fine).

So, any suggestions on what to do moving forward? I want to prevent him from peeing on the couch, or anywhere in general, again. I tried my best to get the smell out of the couch but unfortunately it leaked down into the frame and had been sitting there for quite a while before I found it. I put baking soda down there, let it sit, sprayed with vinegar, then vacuumed, and sprayed with vinegar again. I'm letting it sit now, I might do more baking soda tomorrow. It's not a strong smell anymore, it's faint, but he's still sniffing around the area.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
If Thor is sniffing the area it makes me think that it may have been the other cat that peed there. I have a lot of cats, they usually only pee out in their enclosure but every so often one of them will get upset and spray inside the house. He then acts very nonchalant about it, while all the others come over and sniff whatever he sprayed.

How is your other cat acting? Has she/he been using the litter box as normal?

The best thing to get rid of the pee smell is an enzyme cleaner. I like Fizzion, but I've heard Nature's Miracle is good too.

http://fizzionclean.com/

http://www.natures-miracle.com/products/pet-odor-stain-removers/original-pet-stain-odor-remover.aspx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kyface

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If Thor is sniffing the area it makes me think that it may have been the other cat that peed there. I have a lot of cats, they usually only pee out in their enclosure but every so often one of them will get upset and spray inside the house. He then acts very nonchalant about it, while all the others come over and sniff whatever he sprayed.

How is your other cat acting? Has she/he been using the litter box as normal?

The best thing to get rid of the pee smell is an enzyme cleaner. I like Fizzion, but I've heard Nature's Miracle is good too.

http://fizzionclean.com/

http://www.natures-miracle.com/products/pet-odor-stain-removers/original-pet-stain-odor-remover.aspx
Hmm, that's interesting. Loki recently had a urinary blockage, we dealt with it, I was at the vets just a couple weeks ago and she said the blockage was gone. Other than that he's acting normal, he is by nature I bit angst-y though. My SO usually does the litter box, and yesterday I realized it wasn't done, so I cleaned it out immediately. Perhaps that could be it as well.

When cats spray, is it a lot of fluid? Because whatever it was got down into my couch from leaking though the blanket and down my cushions (it's a leather couch). I managed to clean the surface and cushions just fine, and there's no smell. the smell is coming from the area I can't reach.

Thanks for the advice!

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
you might want to take the cats to the vet to be sure there's no recent infections or other issues.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
When cats spray, is it a lot of fluid? Because whatever it was got down into my couch from leaking though the blanket and down my cushions (it's a leather couch). I managed to clean the surface and cushions just fine, and there's no smell. the smell is coming from the area I can't reach.

Thanks for the advice!
When they spray it's usually just a few drops. If it was enough to actually soak down into the couch it must have been a squat-and-pee rather that a spray.