Cat pee smell, no pee to be found. How do I get rid of it?

EveAndHerThieves

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My landlord's cat got down in my apartment the other day. He's not fixed. Somewhere in my bedroom he has peed. This is the mother of all pees. A week's worth of cat pee condensed into one tiny pee. I can smell it when I walk into my apartment. And my room? I'm not going to touch it.

I've taken basically everything out of my room. All that's left is some ceramics on the floor, two packed up boxes, and some clothes on a dresser. Plus my bedding and a cat tree. I've sniffed everything that's left and don't detect it. The entire room stinks so I can't trace where it's the strongest. Tonight I got our a blacklight and went all over the room. There's only one thing I saw that could even possibly be cat pee - but I swear the scent is stronger on the other side of the room! (I think. It's hard to tell)

How the heck do I get rid of cat pee that I can't find?! I've doused my carpet in baking soda just now in a last ditch effort. I've tried to get my cats to sniff it out (sniffing intensely with their mouths open) and they seem to have zero interest in it.

Please help! The couch is comfortable, sure, but I'm expecting company for a sleepover this weekend. After what feels like hours of searching all I've found is a giant spider with his very established web.

Cat lover 225

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know it's unhelpful but still,use a air freshener before the company comes.Whenever the smell ends,use it again.Make some excuse as a reason if you don't want then to know.And as of actually finding the urine stain,I have no idea.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since the black light found a suspicious area, I'd start there. Did you shine the

Here's a couple TCS articles that might be helpful tips. I think you'll need an enzyme cleaner, however, to completely remove the scent.

How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions – TheCatSite Articles
How to Successfully Combat Cat Urine – TheCatSite Articles

Oh ... did you shine the light on the wall? Since the cat's unneutered, he probably sprayed, so it could be on the wall. :cringe:

Feste

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bawking soda and vinegar will remove the pee from the carpet. You can also sprinkle some baking sodas on the carpet, let it sit for a half hour and then vacuum it before you’re move out inspection.