Cat Pee Smell In The Air. Help!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I had a feral cat in my bathroom overnight. The trap was on pee pads so nothing soaked through. I still scrubbed the floor with vinegar and Simple Green. He didn't spray or anything. It has been all day with all windows open, I sprayed air freshener, it's been cool out.... but it still reaks like cat pee. It's drifted down the hallway into the bedroom... Again all the windows on the whole floor were open all day and OMG. How do I get rid of the smell???? My bf is not happy that I had him in the house at all let alone this smell. Help!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, try a black light, plus an enzymatic cleaner formulated to remove pet urine odors. Vinegar and all-purpose cleaners simply don't work well enough.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, all purpose cleaners do not work. You need to go to Walmart and buy an enzyme cleaner specifically for cat urine. You just spray the surfaces and let it dry. I have a black light flashlight, don't scream when you see all the drops around your toilet, it's really enlightening!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is basically gone. I recleaned everything with some enzymatic cleaner. I am washing all the rugs and anything cloth in that bathroom and I really don't smell it anymore. I was just so shocked it was as bad as it was. Thanks guys!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh he just neutered and he spent the night in my bathroom in the trap to recover. I have since released him. The smell just lingered.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, tomcat odor is potent. Glad to hear it dissipated. I heard of someone who transported a tom in his car, without pads under the trap, and he never was able to get the smell out entirely. . .