Cat Paw Irritation

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I noticed that my cat has been licking at his right paw a lot. I checked it and it is a little pinker than normal between the toes.

I just switched his litter from swheat scoop ( which is known to be gentler, and safer in general) to easy clean. I did this for cost and clean up reasons. It's a clay litter. I expected no problems, except that he might not like the switch at first.

Can I use some Neosporin on his paw?

Has anyone else had problems with clay litter?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I was wondering --if he licks the Neosporin, that might not be good. Plus it'll be sticky. You could instead wipe it with a little bit of Hydrogen peroxide.

I saw that one of the last comments in the review section on amazon for the Easy Clean was that they'd started using larger sand grains. That by itself doesn't mean anything if you like this litter, but if they're like Arm & Hammer there will be some small disk-like pieces, that could be sharp edged. My guy hasn't ever had problems, but maybe there was something like that when your boy was scratching/covering?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have had people tell me that a little Neosporin is fine, but who knows. I took him to the vet because I checked his paw Monday and it was bleeding. She took a sample and we found out he had a bacterial infection. It doesn't look as bad now, and It's drying up. Thank you for your reply Furballsmom Furballsmom

None of his other paws were irritated, so I might continue to use the clay litter/swheat scoop mix.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Clay litter by itself isv generally harmless. Maybe Easy Clean is a low-quialty litter and your kitty would do better with a more popular brand.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I thought about that but I didn't want to expose him to the harsher chemicals in it. He acts like he's real tuff but he's actually super sensitive. The easy clean litter hasn't caused any more problems. I am wondering if he got it some other way, like off the walls of his covered litterbox, or the floor, or a bug bite maybe?