Cat Paranoia

Lilyvlsqz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I’ve been having a lot of trouble with my 6 year old cat. Here’s the backstory, we had him for 2 years as an indoor/outdoor cat, he left once after visiting the vet and never returned. A month ago I received a call from a vet stating he had been found. He had some issues from fighting (with who knows what)so the vet fixed him up and also got him neutered.

He’s been so affectionate but the BIG issue is that he BITES out of no where!!! He only bites at our feet and it seems like he thinks our shoes are creatures/animals of some sort. He has not bit us barefoot but only when we have shoes or socks on. We could be walking and he lunges at our feet!!!!
We have him in his own room for now and only let them out when we know we will be sitting down the whole time, which is not much.

I’m in desperate need of help or suggestions!!!!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He needs his own room, and probably to be caged for a while to calm him down. You could also try gabapentin which has a calming effect. It is tasteless and can be sprinkled on food. For now make sure to wear thick socks/ pants/ boots etc. And try verbally telling him no when he does it. Try shaking a can of pennies as well.
The best thing is to play with him non stop, tire him out and also get him a companion to roughhouse with.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe he had another home for a bit where this play was encouraged?

I would wear thick padded slippers for a while. Carrying a penny can for a while sounds like a good idea. At the very least make a high pitch wailing oooowwwww or hiss at him every time he attacks your feet. If you see him hunting you, toss a small toy away from you. Carrying small toys in your pocket (to toss) is a good tip for naughty kittens and juvinelle cats.

I would try the room for a week to see if that helps him. (I hate locking cats in a room but sometimes it is needed.) The extra play is always a good idea. I tire my hyper boy out a bit by getting him to a follow wand toy up and down furniture & the cat tree.

Maybe get a few cardboard scratchers and throw blankets in his room? Then after a week or two when you release him you can spread the scratchers & blankets around the house (to help him feel like he owns the place again.)

All that said my cat has been attacking my feet & legs sometimes when I’m on the toilet for almost his entire life! 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️ He is real gentle with me and only does it when he is bored. The only thing I haven’t tried is a squirt bottle!!! What works for me is distraction. I have a couple of bathroom wand toys I hang on the handrail. Then while I go pee I play with him a bit...... no feet attack. He has mellowed out as he aged; he just turned 3 years old. So maybe distraction & play will work for you?

LilosFanClub

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh yikes. I’m glad your kitty is back home with you. Are the bites aggressive and breaking the skin? This may sound weird, but do your shoes make a loud noise? I hardly ever wear shoes around my cat because I take them off at the door, but sometimes I need to run inside to grab something and if I’m wearing boots the noise kind of spooks my cat?
I have been living at my parents’ house for the last couple months and my cat occasionally lunges and attacks my mom. She will wait under a chair and lunge out to attack (often misses her and slides by), but it’s strange because she only does it to my mother. My mom has never been aggressive or rough towards or around my cat, and my cat often cuddles on her.