Cat Panting?

catalinacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ive noticed that my cat pants quite a lot during and after play. (Wasn’t sure if this thread belongs in health or behavior).

She’s 7months and gets enough water to drink and has water always available.

I also use scented litter and am not sure if that is aggravating her respiratory system?

Is this just normal for a cat? Something that should be brought up to the vet? I just never seen a cat pant so much albeit she is very active.

Thanks in advance for any inputs!

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's not uncommon for cats to pant when very warm or with intense play. An example our Yoshi was about 8 mts when a fly got in the house. It was probably 80 degrees and he flew around the house almost as fast as the fly for 1/2 hr. I'd never seen a cat pant before and it really scared me. He relaxed and was fine in about 5 min.

When she relaxes does she recover quickly? Try shorter or less intense play sessions. If it persists give your vet a call.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My will pant when we play with the cat dancer or the laser. They stop in a few minutes after I put the toy away although they so breathe faster for a while longer.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of ours used to pant almost immediately when playing, and vet said he was in good health, but was fat. I was kind of surprised, but yep, this guy had randomly put on some pounds so gradually I didn't notice it until someone pointed it out.
I'm not saying this is so for your kitten but if she's carrying extra weight, that can sometimes do it!
Yes, definitely bring it up at the vets. If I see a cat panting during a play session, we stop playing to get them to relax a bit.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gizmo used to pant as a kitten when he'd have his zip zoomies all over the house and jump on his kitty condo and jump down and fly through the air like a mad man. It would only last about 30 seconds or so and he'd calm back down. Stevie is like that now, she'll get the zoomies and jump all over furniture and up and down the stairs and pant afterwards but she, too, calms down after about 30 seconds.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gizmo used to pant as a kitten when he'd have his zip zoomies all over the house and jump on his kitty condo and jump down and fly through the air like a mad man. It would only last about 30 seconds or so and he'd calm back down. Stevie is like that now, she'll get the zoomies and jump all over furniture and up and down the stairs and pant afterwards but she, too, calms down after about 30 seconds.
We set up an agility practice tunnel in the yard for our younger agility dogs to practice driving to obstacles. A few of our cats were out with us. Our dogs practiced and we trained and all that stuff and when that was over we hung around talking/discussing and laughed our butts off when one dog spent about 10 minutes inviting a cat to chase him...when she did, the dog ran into the tunnel and stopped short halfway through. The sound a dog rushing through a tunnel, stopping, then re-tracing is hilarious. The cat ran to the exit-side of the tunnel preparing to pounce playfully. The dogs face re-appeared at the entrance end, wide eyed and hopeful, and the cat turned and ran to the entrance side..the dog by now was woo'ing and slapping the tunnel with his foot and freezing, wide-eyed and grinning, inviting chase, and this cat did so, and they proceeded to play chase all over the yard for a few minutes, then re-did the tunnel thing. At one point, the dog would run into the tunnel followed by the cat, and a second later the cat would emerge, being playfully chased by the dog, then the whole thing would reverse and the cat was chasing the dog.
It was one of the most hilarious and adorable moments I've ever seen.

EspiKvlt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If it's after an intense play session, that's a good thing. Cats should be played with until they reach that stage of being worn out.

I'd be concerned if it wasn't after playing, or if you think she's overweight, but since it sounds like those aren't issues, I would take that a good sign you're giving your baby plenty of exercise.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it's after an intense play session, that's a good thing. Cats should be played with until they reach that stage of being worn out.
:yeah: Panting after a good play session with lots of running and jumping is normal:agree: The panting stops after a couple of minutes or so after playtime as the heart rate slows down to normal.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine pants after playing hard for a while. That's when I know it's time to let her catch the toy. That either ends the play session, or she will rest a bit and come back for more. The panting from being upset was quite different, during a car ride. That looked and sounded more like hyperventilation. Play panting is going to sound just like a human getting a lot of exercise.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine pants after playing hard for a while. That's when I know it's time to let her catch the toy. That either ends the play session, or she will rest a bit and come back for more. The panting from being upset was quite different, during a car ride. That looked and sounded more like hyperventilation. Play panting is going to sound just like a human getting a lot of exercise.

Yes :agree: If you ever see your cat start to pant during playtime, stop and give your cat a break before resuming again if the cat wants to play more. Some cat breeds are super active and just want to play and zoom around all day and just don't know when to stop. My Aby was literally bouncing off the walls as a kitten.

If it gives you piece of mind, take a video of your cat panting after play and show it to the vet.

krystab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 5 month old kitten pants after he has a crazy play session... he even does it when playing by himself with his furry mice. It always stops right after he stops running... and about 30 seconds later he’s crazy again :hyper: