Cat Panting Due to Stress

fisheater

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We're moving to a new place that's 45 mins from our old one. I took my kitty with me last night to the new place. Let me tell you, my kitty is majorly stressed out.

He's been panting due to stress ever since I brought the carrier in and opened the door. I put out food and water, showed him where the litter box is, played with him, talking soothingly to him, basically he's getting 100% of my attention all night, but he is still way stressed out and panting a lot.

We went to bed around 11:30pm last night and he woke me up crying at 3:30 am. I've been up ever since to try and calm him down. I was able to get him to settle down, but he is still panting a lot.

He's eating and drinking, and even used the litter box at the new place so that's good I think. I'm terribly worried about him though, he has IBS and is on a prescription diet since just about anything sets off his diarrhea so I want to get his stress under control ASAP! So far no diarrhea, but dealing with a diarrhea flare up right now I think would be even more stressful for both of us. But I'm at a loss as how to help calm down his anxiety. I'm playing with him, talking with him, petting and giving him scritchies, basically giving him 100% of my attention except to write this post, and he is still panting a lot.

I've read that Feliway might work in a situation like this... The pet store opens at 9 am and I'll be there when they open the doors and pick up one.

Does anyone else have any tips or ideas for me? I hate to see my kitty so stressed out like this (and I also need sleep too).

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The first thing i was going to suggest is the Felliway. When i moved house i bought the plug in Felliway, as well as the spray which i would give short bursts in every room every few hours. I also put a few drops of rescue remedy in their water and on their paws which relaxes them

I would give your vet a ring and ask for a chat about it just to put your mind at rest

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely a feliway plug in or two...and some rescue remedy for immediate relief. You can rub the rescue remedy right on his little face. What a lucky kitty to have a mama who cares so much.

keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fisheater

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tips guys. The local pet store didn't have any rescue remedy so I'll have to check another store later. But I did grab two Feliway plug ins from the pet store and went home on my lunch break to install them at home. My kitty was still a nervous wreck when I got home, but at least the drooling stopped and he is not panting nearly as much now.

I stayed with him for about 45 mins during my lunch break, then I had to get back to work. I'll see him again in 4 hours or so and I'm dedicating tonight again to be his buddy to help calm him down and get used to his new home. Hopefully the Feliway will start to kick in tonight too and help calm him before its time for bed, I really need a full nights rest after last night.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's great that he's a little calmer
He'll just need reassuring as well, so your doing the right thing by spending some time with him.

I remember the weekend we moved into this house when i was upstairs unpacking, and Rosie was crying downstairs. It sounded like she was saying "Where are you Mum?!", so i looked over the staircase and shouted "I'm up here Rosie!", and she came running full pelt

Is he just in one room or does he have the full run of the house?, becaue it might be an idea just to leave him in one room while your not there as a new house can be daunting for them

Oh and Rescue Remedy can usually be bought at any pharmacy or any large grocery store

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like you're on the right path. I'd also get at least one feliway for the new place and plug it in before you move in with him. Don't take him with you until you're really ready to move, then when you move, confine him in one room. Taking him with you every time you go is really too much of a stress for him and you don't want to add to his stress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fisheater

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh no, I'm just bringing him up here once and that's it, he's here to stay. We no longer have anything at the old place and are not going back. I wouldn't put my poor little guy through any more stress than he has to be in.

When I first brought him up here, I kept him confined to the bedroom/bathroom. Its a one bedroom apartment so there's basically really only 2 main rooms here. When I came home after work after the Feliway had been on for several hours, he was doing much better so I let him out into the living room/kitchen.

Man those Feliway diffusers work great. Its like night and day with him between now and last night. Right now he's sitting next to me purring up a storm, rolling over on his back for belly scritchies. He's mostly back to his old self now. Still a little skiddish when there's an unfamiliar noise, but that is to be expected I think. I'm so happy the drooling, panting, and hyperventillating has stopped. I was really really worried and thought he might give himself a heart attack last night.

So a great big thanks to those who responded. My kitty is doing great now since I got the Feliway plug-ins and we both couldn't be happier.

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For future reference, you might also wan to see if you can find some Valerian root. I get mine offline, but you can find it in esoteric shops, and even in pull-apart capsules in the herbal remedies sections of grocery stores.

Valerian root can have a calming sedative effect on cats and humans alike. I take some in herbal teas before bed, and put some out for Smudge kitty, who is a very nervous and high-strung cat. Within 15 minutes of sniffing and rolling in it -- even licking some up off the carpet or tile -- Smudge becomes playful but also affectionate. He only gets near my husband after he's had a dose of Valerian root.

If you choose to get some, I advise finding the powder form. Whole roots are nearly impossible to pound down or slice, and aren't as effective in large chunks. It's a good thing to have on hand though. PM me if you want more info.