Cat Pancreatitis - Does Anyone Have Any Experiences With It?

whitebunny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been a nervous wreck over the past few days due to my cat suddenly getting an acute case of pancreatitis. :( She was in her normal health until Thursday, when I suddenly found her vomiting and unresponsive on the couch. I rushed her to the emergency room and she was found to have severely enlarged pancreas, although her liver and kidneys and other labs were all okay. Unfortunately, she didn't eat anything in the hospital, so today she had to have a feeding tube placed (esophageal tube) so that she can get nutrition at home and prevent liver failure from happening. I haven't been able to sleep or relax since this happened - I just keep worrying that she won't make it. Has anyone had a kitty go through this who survived, and can you tell me your experiences?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not have any experience, i am sorry, no advice to offer. I just wanted to say i am sorry you and your kitty are going through this. I it must be so hard. I am sending your cat my best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. I hope you have a peaceful day.

pogo16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been a nervous wreck over the past few days due to my cat suddenly getting an acute case of pancreatitis. :( She was in her normal health until Thursday, when I suddenly found her vomiting and unresponsive on the couch. I rushed her to the emergency room and she was found to have severely enlarged pancreas, although her liver and kidneys and other labs were all okay. Unfortunately, she didn't eat anything in the hospital, so today she had to have a feeding tube placed (esophageal tube) so that she can get nutrition at home and prevent liver failure from happening. I haven't been able to sleep or relax since this happened - I just keep worrying that she won't make it. Has anyone had a kitty go through this who survived, and can you tell me your experiences?
Is your gal still at the hospital? My cat had an acute pancreatic flare two years ago, and I rushed him to the vet. He was vomiting constantly, had diarrhea, lethargy and sometimes howled, and Pogo is a quiet cat. There, they gave him an anti-inflammatory, some pain meds, sub-Q fluids, appetite stimulant, something to relax him and antibiotics.

They sent him home where I continued to medicate him and he's been right as rain ever since. I now add digestive enzymes to his food and switched him from canned food to raw. I have no idea if those make a difference but he's OK with the new protocol.

I assume you had a spec fPL done? Hope it turns out OK for your little one. It is incredibly nerve-wracking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whitebunny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, the spec fPL confirmed the diagnosis. Thank you so much for your reply - I truly am at wit's end, can't even sleep I am so worried. :( She had the esophagostomy tube placed yesterday and it went well but she developed a little bit of respiratory distress afterwards, and has to be in the oxygen chamber for a few days to help recover. I am truly hoping she pulls through.

pogo16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's good that you put in a feeding tube because that is one less worry. Many cats recover very nicely from acute pancreatitis without ever experiencing another flare; whereas, others become chronic. Mine is chronic.

You're doing all you can right now, and your kitty is in the best place possible to get immediate and thorough care. I'm not sure why, but some cats are put on steroids to control pancreatitis, but I believe most cats just get supportive care when a flare occurs. You might want to ask your vet about steroids once your cat is more stable.

There is a 'cats with pancreatitis' group on FB that has a lot of members and is very supportive. I'm sure you have a lot of questions and that is good place to get feedback on care. Good luck!

what is your kitty's name? and how old?