Cat Overweight?

SketchyT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 10 month old cat that I adopted awhile ago, and Im not sure if she's overweight or just fluffy. I'm careful not to overfeed her (dry food), and she's rather active.

Pictures of her:

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She doesn't look too overweight. Do you have a scale in your house? I would weight her (while holding her, then weigh yourself, do the math). Then weigh her again in a few weeks. Is she still on kitten food? Maybe time to switch her over to adult, or not free feed her anymore. Most cats eating dry end up overweight. Dry isn't really the most ideal diet for them. So it is important to keep close eye on their weight if that is what you choose to give them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SketchyT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay! Thank you!

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
From these pics and without knowing her weight it's hard to say. From the pics she doesn't appear to be. Again it's hard to tell from the pics but, you may have a big breed cat and they can get large fairly quick in the first year or two.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - she isn't an adult yet so you do need to feed her as much as she'll eat, until she's a year or a year and half and the growth of her bones, nervous system and other systems is completed.

If possible, start feeding her canned food - kibble can be high in carbs. You could look for All Life Stages food.

Once she's an adult, you can use an adult cat body condition chart, and when you lightly feel her ribs you should be able to feel a thin layer of fat over them.

SketchyT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
From these pics and without knowing her weight it's hard to say. From the pics she doesn't appear to be. Again it's hard to tell from the pics but, you may have a big breed cat and they can get large fairly quick in the first year or two.
She's 7.2 pounds, and I'm not exactly sure what breed she is, as we adopted her from a shelter.

SketchyT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - she isn't an adult yet so you do need to feed her as much as she'll eat, until she's a year or a year and half and the growth of her bones, nervous system and other systems is completed.

If possible, start feeding her canned food - kibble can be high in carbs. You could look for All Life Stages food.

Once she's an adult, you can use an adult cat body condition chart, and when you lightly feel her ribs you should be able to feel a thin layer of fat over them.
I'll definitely consider canned if it's better for her!

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She's 7.2 pounds, and I'm not exactly sure what breed she is, as we adopted her from a shelter.
If you can get some pics of her face and a side shot of her standing I can tell more. The way her fur feathers out a couple of inches behind her neck, her coat, and just body shape in general I think you may have a Maine Coon mix. 7.5 lbs would be about average for a female MC. You could also post some pics on Describing Cats - What Does My Cat Look Like? and get some more opinions too. Welcome to TCS by the way!

SketchyT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you can get some pics of her face and a side shot of her standing I can tell more. The way her fur feathers out a couple of inches behind her neck, her coat, and just body shape in general I think you may have a Maine Coon mix. 7.5 lbs would be about average for a female MC. You could also post some pics on Describing Cats - What Does My Cat Look Like? and get some more opinions too. Welcome to TCS by the way!
Thanks for the welcome! I've also suspected she's some kind of Maine coon mix because of her broader muzzle and higher-set ears.

I don't have any pictures of her from the side, and it's a bit late here

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the welcome! I've also suspected she's some kind of Maine coon mix because of her broader muzzle and higher-set ears.

I don't have any pictures of her from the side, and it's a bit late here
Yeah, I think she has some MC in her. Possibly Norwegian Forest Cat because her face is more triangular but I'm leaning more toward MC mix. I don't think she's over weight. She's just gonna be a big girl. She may make it to 15lbs full grown.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just noticed after I made that last post your cats pic and my profile pic are right beside each other almost. Tama in my profile pic was a full blooded MC and there are a lot of similarities. She a gorgeous girl!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 10 months old she's still growing, so don't put her on a diet or restrict her access to food at this point. She almost certainly has at least one more big growth spurt to go (maybe more than 1 before reaching adult weight if she does have some MC or other large-framed cat in her ancestry!) She still looks quite kittenish to me and not full grown.

Review the situation in a couple of months. And yes getting her onto wet food is better than an all dry diet so try to introduce some wet if possible. :)

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When my cat turned into a chunky I noticed she started "grunting" when jumping onto countertops and such. Once she got back in shape her leaps were soundless again. Its at least one indicator of tubby when you can't always tell by sight.

Another indicator is how heavy she feels when you pick her up. Since she is still growing this may not help you now but maybe later down the road.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
she looks good too me, but photos are always hard to tell. I have a big fluffy one, he looks fat from above, unless he is wet from a bath, then he looks thin.. all that fluff :) when i check i can lightly feel his ribs, not pronounced but easy to feel. I do also have a yearly wellness visit with our vet for all my cats. The vet monitors their weight and body condition as well. at 10 months i would let her eat, she needs the nutrients.

I do feed both wet and dry, but dry has so many carbs and often causes cats to gain weight. I feed Dr. Elseys dry only, very low carbs. I do also offer 2 wet meals a day, high protein, moderate fat, and low carb as possible.

I like to check these two sites for cat food

http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

She is a beautiful girl!