Cat Overturning Fountains..anyone Else Have This Problem?

xenathecrazy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have an 11 month old Maine Coon that is also water obsessed. I know the importance of water in a cat's diet and my kitty definitely drinks more out of a fountain. The problem is that I haven't tried a fountain that he doesn't tip over. It's like he's not happy until he overturns them. I have tried so many kinds and it's the same thing. He will use his teeth and feet to lift and turn. Even though they are heavier once filled up, he still manages to knock them over. He will knock over water bowls too. If I use an elevated stand to hold the bowls in place, he knocks the stand over.

Has anyone else had this problem and what did you find as a solution?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we tried a fountain out on our cats they didn't overturn it but they pushed it around and splashed so much that we ended the experiment. They do the same with water dishes -- they seem to be fascinated with water, too -- but at least the mess is on a smaller scale if they splash a lot! Dishes that aren't too full are far less interesting for them. I don't know that I've ever seen them actually drink out of any vessel, though we do leave bowls around for them, particularly when it's hot. They get plenty of water in their food (they eat all wet food and I often add extra water) so I'm not worried about their water intake.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmm. What kinds of fountains have you tried?

My boy Ares loved to knock over their water dispenser, even when it was full. And both kitties knock over water bowls. But they've been very happy with their new flower fountain and haven't knocked it around once -- I think Ares just wanted to see the water move in the old dispenser...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xenathecrazy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have tried the Catit Flower Fountain (he will either knock it over completely or use his teeth to remove the green lid, the flower or the plain green circle in the middle, even though I have taped the lid down. Drinkwell Tier fountain, Pet Premier, and another one from Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

I have used the gravity waterers and he will dig in the water taking it out which allows it to refill emptying the reservoir. He will tip over water stands by moving them or if they have any crevice or place he can get his paws into, he will knock it over. Regular bowls are toys to be moved around. He also doesn't drink much out of a bowl when it is upright.

Too much wet food and certain brands of wet give him diarrhea, or I'd be more than happy with a wet only diet and not worry so much about the extra water. He has to have a wet and dry food combination to have normal stools and we've tried plenty of foods.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What would he do with a tray type set up - meaning that it would only be maybe a couple of inches high at the most, and perhaps several inches wide/long. It would obviously need to be filled up more frequently, but I would think he couldn't really tip it over. If you set it on a rubber-bottomed throw rug, he shouldn't be able to scoot it, and the rug could absorb whatever he managed to get out of the tray while you are testing it.

Of course, if you have the kind of luck I have, you'd probably find him sitting in it!!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried a suction cup bottom bowl?

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried ceramic made fountain or plastic only?
Last night I was actually considering if it is safe to place some stones in the fountain to weight it down to keep him from knocking over. I’m going to research it because it is so annoying to clean the water every day.
I have a stoneware bowl for water as well, it weighs around 1kg, maybe that would help you as well? You can place it on something to make it higher

Last time when we left kitties for weekend I left them big pot full of water, too heavy to knock over and it did ensure they had water available that did not end on the floor

xenathecrazy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just ordered the Harmony ceramic fountain from Petco to see how it goes. I haven't tried something like ceramic yet.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha! Naughty beast!

Putting it in a boot tray will keep the mess to a minimum, although it won't fix the underlying issue.

Have you tried a large heavy ceramic dog bowl? Not a fountain, but possibly he wouldn't be able to dump it.

xenathecrazy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Haha! Naughty beast!

Putting it in a boot tray will keep the mess to a minimum, although it won't fix the underlying issue.

Have you tried a large heavy ceramic dog bowl? Not a fountain, but possibly he wouldn't be able to dump it.

I have not tried a plain ceramic bowl yet but only because he seems to drink more from a fountain than sitting water. If I can't find a fountain that works, I will try something like that.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
20181217_104732.jpg
Mine are heavy. They are ceramic. My cats drink more since I got it. They probably like it tilted.easier to drink out of. I got them on chewy

adequately

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We use this one! It holds so much water, it's quite heavy when it's full. I would be surprised if he could knock it over. But I'd expect the ceramic ones will work too as long as they're bottom heavy enough.

xenathecrazy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We use this one! It holds so much water, it's quite heavy when it's full. I would be surprised if he could knock it over. But I'd expect the ceramic ones will work too as long as they're bottom heavy enough.

That is the one I have now that doesn't work. He uses his mouth, lifts, and moves it back and forth splashing all the water out. If he can lift it with his teeth somehow, it's over. He's like a He-Man kitty. LOL