Cat overgrooming / fur loss

SkittlesTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My orange tabby seems to be over-grooming to the point where there is about a 1 inch by 1 inch patch if missing fur behind his front right shoulder as well as smaller patches of missing fur on the inner part of his rear legs. My wife noticed a little blood on his side patch and it looked like the skin was a little raw from licking it. He's always been an indoor / outdoor cat and definitely prefers to go outside during the day (we always lock him inside at night). However, lately he seems to be staying closer to the house and my wife saw a bobcat two weeks ago across the neighbor's yard...probably about 35-50 yards away. Suspecting that was giving him some anxiety, we have kept him inside for a few days, but he's still grooming a lot. (We would be fine keeping him inside permanently, but he will start clawing furniture and cries a lot when he's not allowed to go outside). It's been several months since we last gave him a flea treatment, but we don't see any fleas on him. He seems to have lost his appetite for moist food (tried multiple brands). He'll always try a new can of moist food, but he always just licks the gravy or wet part off and then walks away leaving most of the meat behind. He prefers a diet purely of cat treats (we limit him to about 10-15 small pieces of cat treats per day + 1 - 2 tubes of Inaba Churu Tuna or Chicken Puree. We give him high quality dry food. He seems to drink plenty of water. We replace his water multiple times per day so it's always fresh and clean. He hasn't seem to have lost any weight recently. He's always been about 12-13 pounds since we have had him and fairly lean. Seems healthy. Eyes and mouth look fine. Any ideas on what could be the issue with the overgrooming?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I wondered why Sundar was overgrooming around his lower belly and found that it was the arthritis in his hips and lower back.. it's the closest he could get. That was what my vet thought was the issue, and certainly some full-on treatment for his arthritis has helped considerably.
Just a thought from my experience .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SkittlesTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Mani, I don't think Skittles is much older than 7 to 9 at the most so I'm doubting that it's arthritis (the vet estimated that he was 2-3 years old 4 years ago). Below are two photos of his side patch that I just took.

20201215_125814.jpg

20201215_125738.jpg

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are there little bumps within that furless patch? It's not quite clear to me. If so, then I think it could be a flea allergy or some sort of contact dermatitis. Have you changed litter recently? Sometimes cats will have a reaction to litter and develop itching on their tummies, hind legs from litter. Otherwise, it could be pain, although for him to be doing this in two different areas of his body wouldn't indicate pain (to me), or it could be stress induced. Maybe that Bobcat :dunno: ? It may be hanging around more than you know :frown:.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SkittlesTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I suspect it's stress / anxiety related. Skittles will be going to the vet on Monday for a checkup to rule out anything medical. It's possible that he has an allergy.

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What was the result at the vet? My cat has been doing this for about 6 months or so. We brought to the vet twice. The last time he needed a steroid and antibiotic. Our vet thought my 1 yr old may be allergic to corn, wheat and soy. He’s now on strictly grain free diet but has recently started the overgrooming again, so another vet visit is needed. It’s really frustrating bc I can’t help the little guy. I hate seeing him like this. It’s like he can’t get out of his own skin. It’s not fleas bc he was checked for that and both my cats are indoors. Only one of them behaves like this. I hope your guy is doing better!

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What was the result at the vet? My cat has been doing this for about 6 months or so. We brought to the vet twice. The last time he needed a steroid and antibiotic. Our vet thought my 1 yr old may be allergic to corn, wheat and soy. He’s now on strictly grain free diet but has recently started the overgrooming again, so another vet visit is needed. It’s really frustrating bc I can’t help the little guy. I hate seeing him like this. It’s like he can’t get out of his own skin. It’s not fleas bc he was checked for that and both my cats are indoors. Only one of them behaves like this. I hope your guy is doing better!
Did he get some relief from the steroid, antibiotic, or food change before it started in again? It kind of sounds like it since you said he recenty started the overgrooming AGAIN. If so, you need to try to figure out what changed when the overgrooming started in again. Could be anything, really, even a change in laundry detergent. A change in brand of food, treats, new rug, new clothing, new bedspread, new blankets,..you get the idea.

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did he get some relief from the steroid, antibiotic, or food change before it started in again? It kind of sounds like it since you said he recenty started the overgrooming AGAIN. If so, you need to try to figure out what changed when the overgrooming started in again. Could be anything, really, even a change in laundry detergent. A change in brand of food, treats, new rug, new clothing, new bedspread, new blankets,..you get the idea.
Yes, there was relief after steroid and antibiotic. Our vet seems to think bc he had relief with steroid this is a food allergy vs. environmental allergy. She said that our cat would have had to be bathed in dryer sheets or a detergent for him to have the type or reaction he had 2 months ago. It’s now a process of elimination from his diet. We are now removing chicken completely. He goes next Thursday so she can assess his legs and paws (that seems to be where he overgrooms and pulls at his fur the most.) he only itches around his face. I’m sure an allergy test will be done next week also. Fingers crossed. This is frustrating for us, but also I just want my little guy to feel better.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Itching around the face is a classic food allergy sign. But loss of fur on legs and paws could be an allergy to litter. Have you tried switching to an all natural litter? That might help there.

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Itching around the face is a classic food allergy sign. But loss of fur on legs and paws could be an allergy to litter. Have you tried switching to an all natural litter? That might help there.
We’ve thought about the litter at one point but I guess since his last vet visit we’ve focused on the diet. We could revisit that.

Emar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have the same problem. I think its anxiety and starting him on buspar. It troubles me as well, though mine does not groom his spot bare, i can see how that would be difficult to look at.
i try to think of it as the cat version of nail biting?

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have the same problem. I think its anxiety and starting him on buspar. It troubles me as well, though mine does not groom his spot bare, i can see how that would be difficult to look at.
i try to think of it as the cat version of nail biting?
I was going to suggest stress/anxiety. Obviously itching/allergies are a common cause, but stress also frequently causes cats to over groom. My previous cat took Prozac for a bit for over grooming and pacing/meowing after we moved and it worked well for him.

Peachiekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My orange tabby seems to be over-grooming to the point where there is about a 1 inch by 1 inch patch if missing fur behind his front right shoulder as well as smaller patches of missing fur on the inner part of his rear legs. My wife noticed a little blood on his side patch and it looked like the skin was a little raw from licking it. He's always been an indoor / outdoor cat and definitely prefers to go outside during the day (we always lock him inside at night). However, lately he seems to be staying closer to the house and my wife saw a bobcat two weeks ago across the neighbor's yard...probably about 35-50 yards away. Suspecting that was giving him some anxiety, we have kept him inside for a few days, but he's still grooming a lot. (We would be fine keeping him inside permanently, but he will start clawing furniture and cries a lot when he's not allowed to go outside). It's been several months since we last gave him a flea treatment, but we don't see any fleas on him. He seems to have lost his appetite for moist food (tried multiple brands). He'll always try a new can of moist food, but he always just licks the gravy or wet part off and then walks away leaving most of the meat behind. He prefers a diet purely of cat treats (we limit him to about 10-15 small pieces of cat treats per day + 1 - 2 tubes of Inaba Churu Tuna or Chicken Puree. We give him high quality dry food. He seems to drink plenty of water. We replace his water multiple times per day so it's always fresh and clean. He hasn't seem to have lost any weight recently. He's always been about 12-13 pounds since we have had him and fairly lean. Seems healthy. Eyes and mouth look fine. Any ideas on what could be the issue with the overgrooming?
Did you have any luck with skittles getting better? My kitty has been dealing with allergies and I have tried sooooo many things! Except the dermatologist- we don’t have any within a few hours. I’m thinking of trying a holistic vet this month though. Anyway, if you have any tips at all, let me know!
Lindsey