cat outside

ronss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i have the last couple of days let my 6 month siamese go outside, he has not learned how to go the steps, i live on the 2nd floor...today i took him out, he went down he steps, sniffed around, and then when i went to get him to go back upstairs, he took off running...i chased him for 5 minutes until i was able to catch him...he was darting out into the parking lot, etc......any solution to this problem

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't let him out or use a leash and harness if you do. There is no other solution.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ronss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
okay ,,,thanks...i thought he was no going to let me catch him....he was allways a step ahead of me..it was scaring.....the darting into the parking lot is what spooked me..

phillygal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Most cats, if given the chance, will dart if they have the opportunity, IMHO. I concur that if you use a leash and harness, you will probably have much better control of the situation. Unless you have access to a secure outdoor enclosure (where the cat can be "outside" but cannot escape), it is important to ensure his (and your) safety by using the harness.

I suggest that you give your cat an opportunity to get used to the harness (wear it inside) before using it outside. He will get used to it eventually, but will probably balk at first. Make sure you get the correct size, so he can't get loose. Ensure it is neither too loose nor too tight and that he can move his legs easily. Also, when he is outside make sure he is supervised.

I used this method with my dear Casey for years.
He enjoyed his time outside; I wanted him to be only inside, but I compromised and it worked well for him.

ronss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my cat likes the outside, i just did not know i was going to have this problem...i had a collar on rocky when i got him from the arizona humane society, he was trying to take it off, so i removed it...i can see that will probably have to put it on when i take him out..i just tryed putting the collar on him , he will not let me do it..

now he is inside, and wants to go out badly again,,,,,,i can tell by his vocal voice and actions...i live on second floor..so i believe the balcony will have to do for him.....he likes to site on the ledge

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't let him out on the balcony unless you fully enclose it. He'll eventually fall or jump and while some cats survive falls, not all do.

Please do not let him run loose outside. He'll be at risk of getting ran over, and if you're towards the outer edge of the city you have to worry about coyotes.
You will never be able to catch a running cat. They're faster than even the fastest humans. You cannot expect him to come back when called instead of running off. He's a cat, not a dog and will do what he wants to do.

Just because a cat wants something does not mean we have to let them have it. My cats love digging in the trash to try to find scrapes, for example.

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
During Attitude's last weeks she decided she wanted to go outside and explore. I only let her do it without a leash and harness(both of which she was accustomed to) because I knew I could catch her since I knew she wasn't going to be running(literally) anywhere and she had proven that she could be trusted not to run off. She always allowed herself to be caught when I decided it was time to come in or she decided on her own she wanted to go back inside. I can't do that with Nuts he is more skittish to outside noises and I have had to chase him down a few times(when he's door dashed and heard something that freaked him out.)

Use a harness and a leash if he is going outside and enclose your balcony fully if you are going to allow him out there.

Also, mine fought their collars anytime I had to put them back on(they all wore them full time and Nuts always has his on.) I would put it on him(given it is a safety collar) and leave it on, they get used to it and ignore it after awhile and you never know when they might dash out the door and he sounds like a door dash risk. Both Attitude and Nuts tried to remove theirs(and Maude tried to eat the tags) when they first started wearing them but they eventually got used to them and left them alone.

Taryn

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he's new to your house and young, he doesn't really have a territory yet and will be curious... but he's a cat, not a dog, so don't expect obedience.

Your kitty will be very happy indoors when established, and there really is no reason for them to go outside, and there are a lot of dangers to your cat (and to prey animals in the area like endangered songbird hatchlings and nests) if he gets loose.

Even in an apartment, there are non-destructive window perches and window-mounted enclosures available to sun and observe in which is what I'd recommend. I find walking cats on leashes kinda silly personally, although there are plenty that do that. They just move so slow (or refuse to budge), and don't go where you want them.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh goodness, don't let the cat sit on the ledge two floors up! Contrary to some beliefs, cats do fall.

Keep the cat in, or on a leash. They are not like dogs. Most cats will not quietly walk beside you. It is not their nature. There are some that do, but they IMO are the exception.

ronss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well, my siamese is allmost 2 yrs, and sort of blind...so i take him out and follow him,,,,not sure why he has an eye sight problem,,but he does......

my black bombay is 1.5 yrs, and yes, a harness is madatory....she loves treee climbing, and hates it badly when i bring her in....hissing , grouling when i take her in....when i take her out,,,she is purring....