cat outside too much?

cannegardner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
But a cat can't make an informed decision.  Letting them go outside is exposing them to risks they are not equipped to handle.

Agreed. Cats are animals. They don't understand "freedom" like we do. Not to say they are stupid. They are smart and capable, but they are not designed to reason the way we do. They don't understand what mitigating risks means. We cannot impose our human feelings and beliefs on them like that. They survive, and for every one that survives those risks they don't understand, hundreds and hundreds don't. Their motivation is basic: food, shelter, safety and they show affection for those who provide those things.  

I've taken care of ferals for a long time now. We have a local TNR program that works in our area as well. I've seen all sorts of injuries and parasite loads. I've seen vicious cat fights. These cats are not having fun frolicking in the sunshine. They are not concerned with "freedom." They are concerned with their territory, and their next meal, if they get one; they are concerned with shelter, and tree limbs falling on them, and that loose dog running around, or that rabbid skunk, or that housecat that keeps coming into their territory. These are feral cats, wild to the core. Capable of taking care of themselves, and yet, they don't live very long.

House cats are at greater risk because they just don't have the skills needed to know what danger truly is. Sure, there are people who can log 18 years on many outdoor cats, but we don't really have good statistics on those that get killed out of doors because rarely do people report that their indoor/outdoor cat has met with an early demise. They feel guilty, they bury it, they get another cat. They say my cat loves it and nothing ever happened, and I say then you're lucky, because often, something does happen and people just don't want to speak about it for fear of being judged. I often hear a lot of "My cat ran away." But the reality is, cats will come back to a ready food source where they feel safe. If it didn't, it's probably dead. I also hear, well, my cat is fixed, it won't wander far, which is also a total myth.  

Indoor/outdoor has it's own set of issues, especially from a territory/stress factor. For me, knowing what I know, having seen what I've seen, I'd rather be safe than sorry. I can tell you, my used to be feral cat finds the deworming/monthly pestiside application experiences much more objectionable than not going outside.

Glurf, all you need to do is establish a new routine that doesn't include outside. Don't worry, the protests won't last, especially if you don't make a big deal out of it. Mine doesn't even scratch at the window screen. Cats are all about safety and routine. It's just a matter of starting a new one.  

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Re. window screens, there's a trick I use to keep mine from hurting the window screens. They don't scratch them, but they do like to lie in the windowsill, which stretches out the window screens, and I was worried they might break if a cat pushed on them too hard.

I have windows that slide up to open. I bought a couple of those wire cooling racks you use to cool baked goods on. When I open the window, I put the cooling rack on edge, between the windowsill and the window pane, propping the window open. The window's weight keeps the cooling rack in place, the wire frame lets fresh air in, and the cats can't push past it to get to the window screen.

Last edited:

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good grief, this "sermonizing" always happens when a minority (indoor-outdoor cat guardians) say something. 
 Some people need to control their need to control. 

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To answer the original posters questions and hope they aren't scared off of here... Worms are a definite possibility so please have the cat checked out. Changes in behavior and going outside the box are all signs that something COULD be wrong. Easier to rule that out first.

When they kill and bring it to you, it is like a gift. Don't scold the cat because it is not only instinct but the cat is bringing a gift to you so to speak. Just remember when you have outdoor cats that comes with the territory. If she yowls to go out and you don't want to let her, try leaving some music playing or the tv on or some interactive toys so the cat has something to do and isn't suddenly left bored in a dark quiet house with nothing to do. I honestly doubt she is forgetting her training and becoming more wild but I am sure she likes her freedom and as she gets older wants to be out more. She won't understand "grounding" like a child would so I don't see how that could work. My one cat, the only one that goes out, will destroy things if she isn't let out. I tried to ignore it and keep destroyable things out of her way and give her lots to do but it didn't work. So I am not to sure on that. Good luck though! I would really get her to the vet if nothing else then for deworming, mention that she goes out and hunts. That would be the most important thing to do first.

cannegardner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good grief, this "sermonizing" always happens when a minority (indoor-outdoor cat guardians) say something. 
 Some people need to control their need to control. 
I don't think anyone was sermonizing or saying either side was wrong. I used to let my feral cat out, now I don't, and I have good reason for the decision. However, I think most on this thread were simply trying to make sure that whatever decision Glurf comes to that's it's an informed one, based on facts. Some cats live happy long lives as indoor/outdoor cats and some don't. And depending on where you live, there are more risks than others. And those that have had "bad" things happen, have a right to be concerned for the wellfare of the animals. Both sides have very good points. If I lived on a rural farm, I would most certainly let my cat out, but I don't.

I just think everyone needs to know the facts before a decision can be made "for" the cat. Sharing experiences is what this site is all about. Some of those experiences aren't pleasant and might cause upset. But I don't see anyone pointing fingers here.

cannegardner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Re. window screens, there's a trick I use to keep mine from hurting the window screens. They don't scratch them, but they do like to lie in the windowsill, which stretches out the window screens, and I was worried they might break if a cat pushed on them too hard.

I have windows that slide up to open. I bought a couple of those wire cooling racks you use to cool baked goods on. When I open the window, I put the cooling rack on edge, between the windowsill and the window pane, propping the window open. The window's weight keeps the cooling rack in place, the wire frame lets fresh air in, and the cats can't push past it to get to the window screen.
I never thought of that Callista. Thanks. I have a few of those lying around. My guy only messes with the backdoor screen. He's like one of my ferrets. He loves to climb. Unfortunately, once he's up, he can't figure out how to get down. When he was feral, we had to rescue him from the stockade fence a few times.