Cat Only Sleeps On Right Side Of The Bed?

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Smo started sleeping on the bed with me a month after I got her back home in September, and was much more reluctant to sleep next to my boyfriend. I thought this was just because she spends so much time with me and "chose" me, but this week I had my mom sleep in the bed on my side and Smo made a beeline for her instead. I assumed it was just because Smo really likes my mom, but she wouldn't budge from the right side of the bed even after my mom had gotten up.

I thought, huh, maybe this weirdo prefers the right side, and got my boyfriend to try sleeping on that side. Whaddya know, she made a beeline for him and starting very intently making biscuits on his legs until she zonked out. I've been having him sleep on the right side and she keeps choosing to sleep on him - and here I thought I was special, lol.

Is this just Smo being her usual weirdo self, or is there an actual reason she does this? The only thing I can think of is that she stress peed on the left side of the mattress when we first got her home - it was soaked with enzyme cleaner, flipped over and covered in a waterproof cover, but maybe she can still smell the pee? What's odd though is that the spot she sleeps in is literally just a couple feet from where she peed. Any thoughts on what's going on in her little cat brain?

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
The gal just knows what side of the bed she likes. :)

My boy Alasdair, (who loves me more than life itself, and the feeling is mutual) will ALWAYS sleep by/between my boyfriend's legs any nite he can. I kick and thrash a lot in my sleep, so it's probably that. I try not to take it personally.. Boyfie razzes me about it in the mornings tho. :p

Last edited:

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, now you have totally bummed me out. Buddy always sleeps on the left with me. I thought it was because he loved me...now I'm wondering if its just because that's the same side the cat steps are on!:lol: I need to do an experiment and sleep on the right....no, maybe not. I may not want to know the truth.;)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am going to guess Smo is like many humans and has a preference on which side of the bed to lay. No matter where we are, my husband ALWAYS has to have the same side of the bed to sleep. The ONLY time he deviates is when we are at his mother's house - the bed is against the wall and even though it's the wrong side of the bed for him, he chooses the side that is away from the wall!!

(Smo still really loves you, anyway!!!)

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
So Trin slept in bed with us, and he would generall sleep on my left (and the left side of the bed) but sometimes he switched it up a little.

What was super weird, was he loved sitting on Randall’s arm - but only his left arm. He would try and sleep on my arm, but he seemed weird and uncomfortable on my right arm. So he would hop over me and try and snuggle my left arm, almost falling off the bed to do so. It was bizarre.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, now you have totally bummed me out. Buddy always sleeps on the left with me. I thought it was because he loved me...now I'm wondering if its just because that's the same side the cat steps are on!:lol: I need to do an experiment and sleep on the right....no, maybe not. I may not want to know the truth.;)
:crackup:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
m3rma1d m3rma1d I think this is definitely related! My boyfriend sleeps like you and moves around a lot in his sleep, whereas I sleep like a corpse lol. I figured she was choosing me partly because she doesn't get jostled around when she sleeps on me.

jcat jcat Oddly enough, the spot where I sleep is closer to a very drafty door, so my side is colder. I do however use a small heat mat under my feet, so maybe she's attracted to that? She'll sleep on either of us regardless of where the heat mat is, though.

Also an important update: after sleeping on my boyfriend on the right side of the bed, Smo will now migrate to the left side to sleep on him! He went back to sleeping on the left side because it's more comfortable for him, and when I'd pop into the room to check on them she was firmly pressed up against his legs on the left side of the bed. In conclusion...cats are weird and who knows what's going on their little minds. KarenKat KarenKat Trin must have some secret reason for preferring that arm - she looks so cute snuggled up to her daddy!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Girl Human is Casper's main human but he's often lukewarm toward me. (Unless I come bearing kitty cookies! ;) )

Except...he will sleep on my side of the bed when I'm not there.

If Girl Human is in bed, Casper will often snuggle up with her until he decides he's had sufficient attentions, then he moves to my side.

However, if she's not in bed, Casper will, most often, sleep on my side of the bed.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Arnold only sleeps on the left side of the bed.

But I think that is because he can see the bedroom door from that side and he "guards" against greg coming into the bedroom when I am there.

Cas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Cooper used to sleep on whichever side was closest to the door. If we moved the bed he would move to the spot near the door. I think he was being a guard cat.

AbbyBail

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats are weird, shouldn't be taken personally, my fiesty before she passed, she would always sleep right against me and I sleep on my tummy sometimes so she sleeps sprawled out on my legs. My bf is not a fan of cats sleeping on him he never understood why abby sleeps on him. She don't know I close the door when we go to bed. *Sorry sad moment here..I miss waking up to fiesty sleeping on me thou* Other than that, cats are just that strange at times.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats choose to sleep where they wish to. Lol.

My Bourbon sleeps on the spot just above my head. So I have to move downward to provide her more space. She uses my own pillow. I always sleep on the right side of the bed.

AbbyBail

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats are weird, shouldn't be taken personally, my fiesty before she passed, she would always sleep right against me and I sleep on my tummy sometimes so she sleeps sprawled out on my legs. My bf is not a fan of cats sleeping on him he never understood why abby sleeps on him. She don't know I close the door when we go to bed. *Sorry sad moment here..I miss waking up to fiesty sleeping on me thou* Other than that, cats are just that strange at times.
Typo, I meant "She don't now, I close the door". (not know) lol sorry.