Cat only had one kitten

Kacinicole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently adopted a cat, about 2 weeks ago. Last night she went into labor and had one little male kitten about 2am (about 18 hrs ago). I didn’t even know she was pregnant as her sides were not sticking out at all. She just looks like a well fed cat with a squishy stomach. Her stomach was not hard or distended form what I could tell and I never saw or felt any fetal movement. Is it normal for a cat to have only one kitten? I stayed up with her all night watching her to be sure I was there to help if needed if she had any more, but she never did. I’m not sure if she has had any more contractions, but she has not had any visible ones at least and has not pushed or strained at all anymore after the first kitten. She has gotten up a few times to eat/drink and I think she has used the litter box once. She does seem a little more sleepy, or maybe she just enjoys letting her kitten nurse. I can’t tell if she is uncomfortable or just tired. The kitten is doing great and gaining weight so far and she is being a great mom to him. She has not been meowing except when I come back into the room and sit down beside her she will meow once or twice at me and I’ll pet her. The closest emergency vet is an hour away and they said it will be $400 for the exam and X-rays to be sure she doesn’t have anymore kittens in her. They said she very well may have had only one or she could have some dead kittens in her. They said they couldn’t tell me and they didn’t tell me anything to watch out for. They weren’t of much help. I guess I’m just looking for reassurance or guidance from experienced owners. I have read a ton of info and threads. If she has more kittens could it possibly be an interrupted labor? Everything I read says she should be fine either way as long she is not straining or visibly distressed. Thank you in advance for any help. And needless to say she will be spayed when the kitten is weaned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kacinicole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How are things today?
She is acting normal for the most part. She is eating and drinking good. The kitten is still doing great. No more pushing or contractions still. She meows at me a little more than usual but walks around the house with me a bit then goes straight back to her baby so I think everything will be ok. 🙂

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I had a feral who had several litters, years ago, despite everyone's best efforts to trap her. She only ever had two kittens. However, I would check with the vet. It should not be $400 for an xray and exam at a regular daytime vet. You can't really tell what is going on inside, especially if you see no symptoms. Since you did not expect a kitten, hopefully he might be the only one. She is very lucky that you adopted her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you can wait on spending $400. Your cat sounds fine. If there are more kittens she will have them in due time, especially since she seems okay right now. Save the money for her spay and kitten shots, etc. If she becomes distressed she may need a vet, but for now, I’d go with the flow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kacinicole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry, I forgot to update. The $400 was for the emergency vet over the weekend which I decided against. I took her to our regular vet Monday and everything is fine. Just the one kitten. And he is fattest, cutest little thing ever since he has all the milk to himself.