cat only eating dry food

franklinsmother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I finally got my cat eating again for the most part. Unfortunately I did start putting dry food out because he was refusing wet and freeze dried raw. I have been feeding him the brand Fromm. I know dry food is not the best and I want him to start eating the wet food again, but i’m not sure how to go about it? For context: he had a decreased appetite that my vet thinks is due to his sneezing (which is still happening so maybe that’s why?). I usually feed him fancy feast classic pate and he takes a few bites and walks away. I’ve tried giving him other brands he’s loved before (tiki, weruva) and he has zero interest in those ones; he won’t even take a bite. I’m thinking maybe he has gotten used to me putting the dry food out after I see he isn’t eating the wet food? I do wait like 4 hours but he just meows instead of eating. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you tried just some inexpensive brands of wet food? The peas and or legumes are not well tolerated by all cats. I had loads of digestive issues with my cats on the grain-free diets that contained those.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

franklinsmother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried just some inexpensive brands of wet food? The peas and or legumes are not well tolerated by all cats. I had loads of digestive issues with my cats on the grain-free diets that contained those.
What are some of the inexpensive brands? Like friskies?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What are some of the inexpensive brands? Like friskies?
That is an option, though not my personal preference.

Fancy Feast, Iams, Blue. But also I do believe even if we step up a financial notch that Purina, Wellness, Instinct, Applepaws, Hills and Royal Canin are all free from legumes and peas.

franklinsmother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is an option, though not my personal preference.

Fancy Feast, Iams, Blue. But also I do believe even if we step up a financial notch that Purina, Wellness, Instinct, Applepaws, Hills and Royal Canin are all free from legumes and peas.
I do feed him Fancy Feast (classic pate). I didn’t think there was peas in the classic pate. Should I try a different line from them. I’ll also look into some of the other brands.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do feed him Fancy Feast (classic pate). I didn’t think there was peas in the classic pate. Should I try a different line from them. I’ll also look into some of the other brands.
You'll have to check the ingredients on the can.
But yes, you can try different types of food.

Fromm dry and wet both have peas and legumes I believe.

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
franklinsmother franklinsmother , have you tried heating up the wet food a little bit either in the microwave or a warm water bath (obviously using a bowl or similar item for the food and a larger bowl to place it in).

franklinsmother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
franklinsmother franklinsmother , have you tried heating up the wet food a little bit either in the microwave or a warm water bath (obviously using a bowl or similar item for the food and a larger bowl to place it in).
Yes I’ve been doing that and he was eating it at first but slowly stopped.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Fancy Feast classic pates are one of my cat's go to foods. There are no legumes in them. Sometimes, she is off of them and I can add Lil Gravies or Lil Shakes, Delectable Bisques, or even bone broths to them to get her to eat. Feeby also gets some of the Purina One or Pro pates, as well as Merrick Purrfect Bistro, Arcana, and Orijen - all pates. She will also eat single serving Sheba, Iams, and Nutro - all pates too. None of them contain legumes or grains, and are all pretty similar in ingredients to the FF classic pates.

You can also try giving him a bit of the dry food in a separate dish mixed with some water and/or gravy to see if he will eat it that way. It might help transition him back to some of the wet foods. Or, crunch up some of the dry food as a topper to the wet food. Sometimes cats will associate not feeling well with their food, and that could have set him off against his normal wet food for a while.

It is also possible he is still not feeling all the great - for whatever reason that I fail to understand, cats seem to lean toward dry food over wet when they aren't feeing up to par.

Last edited:

franklinsmother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fancy Feast classic pates are one of my cat's go to foods. There are no legumes in them. Sometimes, she is off of them and I can add Lil Gravies or Lil Shakes, Delectable Bisques, or even bone broths to them to get her to eat. Feeby also gets some of the Purina One or Pro pates, as well as Merrick Purrfect Bistro, Arcana, and Orijen - all pates. She will also eat single serving Sheba, Iams, and Nutro - all pates too. None of them contain legumes or grains, and are all pretty similar in ingredients to the FF classic pates.

You can also try giving him a bit of the dry food in a separate dish mixed with some water and/or gravy to see if he will eat it that way. It might help transition him back to some of the wet foods. Or, crunch up some of the dry food as a topper to the wet food. Sometimes cats will associate not feeling well with their food, and that could have set him off against his normal wet food for a while.

It is also possible he is still not feeling all the great - for whatever reason that I fail to understand, cats seem to lean toward dry food over wet when they aren't feeing up to par.
Thank you so much for the recommendations!

MizzDee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You'll have to check the ingredients on the can.
But yes, you can try different types of food.

From dry and wet both have peas and legumes I believe.
I feed mine Fancy feast also but, not pate, they don't like it, I also keep a bowl of dry PurinaOne with salmon out for them also.
I give them 1 tsp. of the wet food in the morning and 1tsp. at night.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a few cats that strictly want “dry” instead of wet food so what I do is crush up some dry food and mix it on top of the wet food….
ive also tried a few times to break up a few of the “ temptations” cat treats and sprinkle on top of wet food to get them started.
idk what they put in those things but my cats go crazy when they just hear me open a package….

franklinsmother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A little update! Franklin had bloodwork and a chest xray and he’s all good! he also started eating more again! the vet thinks he was eating the way he did at first (fast and quickly and a lot of food) because he was underfed probably before. he hasn’t lost weight at all, gained it actually. so now it’s just monitoring him and making sure he eats but she thinks he may just not need as much as he did in the beginning!