Cat On Prescription Diet, Going On Vacation

tewing84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a little dilemma coming up in about a month. One of our male cats recently had some problems with UTIs and crystals, twice in 4 months he got blocked up. So we now have him on a special diet to keep it under control (Hills CD). We have 5 other cats and are going on vacation in about a month for 8 days. He’s not allowed to eat the other cats food as we would risk him getting blocked up again, and completely switching all of them to his food would not be possible as you can imagine. 2 of the other cats are super shy, so they probably won’t even touch their food until the pet sitter is gone...which is what will make this difficult (one of them only eats one brand and one flavor )

I’m trying to figure out a game plan of how to handle all this while we’re gone. Any ideas? I was thinking of just putting him in his own room with a window while we’re gone so I wouldn’t have to worry about him getting to the others food. Also that way I can make sure he is peeing while we’re gone too. Just not sure if that is too much time for him to be locked in a bedroom by himself. He typically keeps to himself anyways and sleeps all day, and will occasionally snuggle with two of the others. Not playful at all.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I were you I would find a cat sitter. With so many cats this is also better for their general safety. And you know urinary issues isn't just about food but also they need to drink enough water.

If you can't arrange a friend or relative, and of course it would be better if it was someone the cats already know, then there are apps that provide pet sitters who come and stay at your place. You can read the reviews of the sitters from the people who worked with them in the past. Just introduce her/him to the cats before the trip to check if they will be OK with that person.

If this isn't an option, can someone take him in for 8 days to their own house? Would your cat be all right with it? You could try staying there together for 2 days first.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tewing84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I were you I would find a cat sitter. With so many cats this is also better for their general safety. And you know urinary issues isn't just about food but also they need to drink enough water.

If you can't arrange a friend or relative, and of course it would be better if it was someone the cats already know, then there are apps that provide pet sitters who come and stay at your place. You can read the reviews of the sitters from the people who worked with them in the past. Just introduce her/him to the cats before the trip to check if they will be OK with that person.

If this isn't an option, can someone take him in for 8 days to their own house? Would your cat be all right with it? You could try staying there together for 2 days first.
Oh I do have a pet sitter already. Sorry I must have left that out. It usually takes our cats about an hour to finish up there bowls as they eat a little and come back to it, and like I said two of them are super shy so they won’t eat until the sitter is long gone