Cat On My Porch, Meowing?

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, I just moved to a new place. The first time in a house.

Today, a furry tabby cat is sitting on the front porch. Gannicus and Spartacus are curious through the window but don't seem frightened or threatened by this cat. . . . I think maybe I saw this cat walking in the neighborhood a few days ago. Perhaps it's a neighbors cat? (but I haven't met any neighbors yet, very quiet street)

Anyway, this cat is like "sleeping", it's not very interested in my cats, but just sitting there,... looking away, closing it's eyes.

So, I decided to see what would happen if I went out onto the front porch. The cat stayed where it was but then started meowing... like a low, I would stay distressed meow you hear at the vet sometimes.. not a growl, but more of one that would make me think one of my guys was upset (like wants out of a room or a door to open, type meow).

Anyway, I went back inside because I didn't want to upset the cat. A few minutes after that he/she went away.

Thoughts? It's my first time with neighborhood cats while having my own. Why do you think it meowed like that? It seemed very content and fine, looking and seeing my cats at the window but didn't really want me outside near it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
. Could be a feral cat or even just a lost pet that is afraid.
... That thought crossed my mind too, I'm hoping it isn't one of those and just a shy neighbor cat with a family .. but I'm gonna be observant just in case

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you know if the house was vacant for a while before you moved in? If so, it could like be a neighbor's outdoor only cat that found a place to rest quietly without interruption while no one was in the house. Or, even the past neighbor used to let it sleep there...

A lot of mostly or entirely outdoor cats can be pretty leery of people in general.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did the cat look well fed / cared for? How long between when the previous owners of your house moved out, and you moved in? Just wondering if he/she might have been their cat, who was either left behind, or found its way back "home".

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did the cat look well fed / cared for? How long between when the previous owners of your house moved out, and you moved in? Just wondering if he/she might have been their cat, who was either left behind, or found its way back "home".
It looked well cared of, the hair was nice.. considering long fur. I believe it has been a loooong time since the last people moved out of this house. Not sure how long, but the mailbox was jammed full

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like it is probably a neighbor's cat who is allowed outdoors, and found your porch to be a nice place to hang out while the house was unoccupied. You might see it disappear when it realizes that there are occupants in the house.

You could also take a picture and make posters to put up in your neighborhood, asking if anyone knows the cat. At least that way you could perhaps determine whether it was recently abandoned or has a home and just likes your porch!

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like it is probably a neighbor's cat who is allowed outdoors, and found your porch to be a nice place to hang out while the house was unoccupied. You might see it disappear when it realizes that there are occupants in the house.

You could also take a picture and make posters to put up in your neighborhood, asking if anyone knows the cat. At least that way you could perhaps determine whether it was recently abandoned or has a home and just likes your porch!
I really hope it has a home and just liked my porch!! I think I'm also going to start walking up and down the street more, that way if I run into a neighbor I could ask if they know whose cat it is. There's another outdoor kitty on the street too, that came up to me the other day and really wanted pets and attention, seemed like someones outdoor kitty..

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It does sound like just a neighbour's friendly cat.