Cat on Miralax for Pancreatitis

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sadly not really. I was doing a favour for a friend who doesn't drive and took them for groceries. She called late in the day and I couldn't grab my phone as I was driving. I don't have the back office phone number and even though they were still there - the office was closed so I couldn't get through. In fairness I had called them earlier and said if it wasn't urgent and she had other urgent patients Charlie is holding his own and not to rush if there was not need. She'll be in Monday. The office will be open sat I think so I will call and get the report sent to me so when I talk to her Monday I will have had a chance to see it.

I did get a tiny bit of info from a call she made to my other number (but wasn't home of course to get it.)

That information is that he does have some inflammation, not sure where and she is looking at giving him antibiotics for infection and a couple of other things. I don't know what those are yet.

The infection I think is bladder maybe as his urine showed a 3+blood in it - which concerns me.

I do have some questions and things for her. Maybe you can see if there are others things I should be asking once I have all the information.

I do want a flag on the file for both Charlie and BH to add the Spec fPL to their blood work automatically. I think that's reasonable to add every time since we know there is an issue.

The other is a GI blood test and check the B12 etc. I think this is a reasonable ask as well.

Once I learn more about where the inflammation is, I'm thinking it's probably the intestines or bladder right now, best guess, what can I do for them to help. What could be the cause of that inflammation? What should I avoid and how can I help them. Am I doing something wrong? Maybe you have an idea here?

I have a feeling we will be doing the prednisolone like you did you your baby. I have a feeling that's one of the other things she will suggest.

Antibiotics - I always get messed up - doI give them probiotics afterwe are done the course - or during? This one I always , always forget which way it goes.

So far he's still stable. He played a bit this morning and then tonight is a bit off again. He goes somewhat back and forth. He's not tossed his cookies again and eating - so I'm incredibly grateful for that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TonyTiger83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Feral,

Make sure you get the full GI Panel. It is four tests: Folate, B12, fPL, and TLI. The test is sent out to Texas. We took blood on thurs, had results on Mon. The inflammation may originate in the GI, bladder, pancreas, a combination, or somewhere else.

I'm curious how they know there is inflammation? Is it noted on the Ultrasound. Usually prednisone injection or medication can help.

I'm so sorry you have to wait until Monday?! I hope they call you sooner. Especially, if ATB or Steroids are recommended. Also get an appt for additional bloodwork.

I'll be thinking of you all!

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi TonyTiger! *waves*

Make sure you get the full GI Panel. It is four tests: Folate, B12, fPL, and TLI. The test is sent out to Texas. We took blood on thurs, had results on Mon. The inflammation may originate in the GI, bladder, pancreas, a combination, or somewhere else.

I'm curious how they know there is inflammation? Is it noted on the Ultrasound. Usually prednisone injection or medication can help.
The ultrasound would have probably shown it. By the looks of his nekkid belly - it was pretty thorough. I feel bad for the wee one as he was just getting all his hair back right from his last one - which didn't show much.

I'm glad I have the next week off as it's going to be easy for me to swing up their office and pick up anything he needs.

I'm so sorry you have to wait until Monday?! I hope they call you sooner. Especially, if ATB or Steroids are recommended. Also get an appt for additional bloodwork.
Sadly yes as it's Easter weekend here. Easter Friday is a Stat for the province. Monday is a Federal one so some places are closed and others not. I'm glad they are not closed Monday. It looks like they are in the office tomorrow so I'll call from my office tomorrow (as I need to go in) and have them send the results and file.

I'm absolutely going to ask for the GI panel. His new Doc seems open to things.I'd been asking for B12 tests for years for all of them because they have issues and it was somewhat brushed off like it was unimportant. Everything I am reading so far says otherwise. I think this seems to be taking this more seriously, asking questions and understanding his history.

I'll be thinking of you all!
Thank you *hugs*

He's still stable but I have the ER number and cage ready to go if needed.

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He tossed his cookies last night in the middle of the night but looks okay right now

I have the ultrasound and I read it. I put some parts I wasn't sure of into my AI to tell me in plain language what it meant.

In terms of the pancreas this is the wording:

"Pancreas: Left Limb= 0.84 cm. Normal size, shape, diffusely mottled and mixed echogenicity, relative to adjacent fat/mesentery.
The pancreatic duct is normal. No nodules or masses seen."

Translation (as I didn't know what was meant by "diffusely mottled and mixed echogenicity")

So here is the breakdown:

"
  1. Pancreas: Left Limb= 0.84 cm: This means that the left part of the pancreas measures 0.84 centimeters in size.
  2. Normal size, shape, diffusely mottled and mixed echogenicity, relative to adjacent fat/mesentery: This indicates that the pancreas appears to be a normal size and shape. "Diffusely mottled and mixed echogenicity" refers to the texture of the pancreas when viewed through imaging (like an ultrasound). It suggests that there are different patterns of brightness within the pancreas, which is normal.
  3. The pancreatic duct is normal: The duct within the pancreas, which carries digestive enzymes, appears to be normal.
  4. No nodules or masses seen: This means that there are no abnormal growths or lumps detected in the pancreas.
Overall, this report suggests that the pancreas appears to be healthy and there are no concerning issues detected during the examination."

On one hand, the ultrasound is saying the pancreas is normal - then it says Triditis is possible. Which is conflicting information.

"There are inflammatory changes seen associated with the hepatobiliary system, the pancreas, and the small bowel which collectively could support the presence of triaditis."

So right now I'm pretty lost. One of the differentials is that they can't rule out SCL - which was very upsetting to see.

Something is obviously causing an inflammatory response somewhere - but where, why, and etc. No idea.

I'll have to wait for his doctor on Monday as this is way over my head at this point, conflicting in some and I'm very confused. Beast i speak to her and we formulate a plan. I'll let you all know once she makes sense of this for me.

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only way to definitively check for SCL is via biopsy which is a surgical procedure. If there are no nodules or things like that found in the US, then its most likely NOT SCL. When we had the US done on our kitty, the vet saw no enlarged lymph nodes, pancreas, spleen, gall bladder, bladder or kidneys so she wasn't concerned with SCL.

He could very well have IBS, which is caused by inflammation in the color and/or intestines. Its symptoms are almost the same as pancreatitis.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only way to definitively check for SCL is via biopsy which is a surgical procedure. If there are no nodules or things like that found in the US, then its most likely NOT SCL. When we had the US done on our kitty, the vet saw no enlarged lymph nodes, pancreas, spleen, gall bladder, bladder or kidneys so she wasn't concerned with SCL.
Nods. And I feel a bit better as I don't see anything like that in the US - I do see thickening of the small intestine mentioned. Which is new.

It mentions that area "An inflammatory response is suspected although small cell lymphoma cannot be completely differentiated in the small bowel." as I read it - I understand it means that there seems to be an inflammation happening, but it's difficult to distinguish it from the possibility of small cell lymphoma in the small intestine. I'll talk to her Monday about this too... but I think mostly I will be listening intently to what she says.

He could very well have IBS, which is caused by inflammation in the color and/or intestines. Its symptoms are almost the same as pancreatitis.
This is new information for me and I'm sitting her absorbing it. Thank you. It makes a lot more sense. We know he has GI issues. His last US, like this one, shows nothing up with the pancreases. Though the blookwork is off the charts for it.

I have, like a broken record, told his docs about his food allergies and possible IBS/IBD. This is his 4th doc (i've not been a broken record to her - yet lol) and she thank goodness seems to be paying close mind to him - for which I am grateful. I'm thinking since his history is a mess I might ask her if she would be insulted if I made a cheat sheet of what I know to try to help.

1st Doc I fired. They refused do bloodwork on him. I told them he was having issues breathing and his heart looked wrong when he was resting and all they kept saying is "He's young don't worry about it". He was ripping his back legs raw to the point of getting welts and they ignored that. The final straw was double rabies shots. (Before I understood that really a 2 year is the same.) I gave them every chance I could but enough was enough. There were obviously issues and they just ignored them.

2nd Doc listened (the clinic I'm at now) we found out he had food allergies (hence the ripping his legs raw to the point of having bald legs and welts), asthma and Mild HCM through a heart US and probably IBS/or IBD. She moved out east I think 2021.

3rd Doc moved closed to home then end of 2023 as she was traveling quite the distance for work - not sure right now that was the only reason she left. The clinic over the past year has been a bit of a disaster IMHO. Not sure what's going on over there or how much longer I'll be willing to give them to get their acts straighten out. People keep leaving, files are getting messed up. In fact I got a happy birthday for him (Charlie) this AM and it's the wrong year, month and date. Not the first time that's been wrong either. This 3rd Doc helped when he was limping and we found out he has some arthritis is his back leg and the pancreatitis.

4th Doc is the one dealing with the recent issue. This is the first time she's met him and I love how she is handling things so far. She's helped one of my other babies too, very kind to them and helpful.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spoke to his lovely Doc today.

We are putting him on antibiotics and ursodiol for his liver. We are skipping pred for now. With good reason - that I'll explain in a second.

With the blood so high in his urine and the triaditis going on there could be an infection, it's likely. Hence the anti-biotics. We both thought the same thing about the US being odd with nothing showing on the pancreas but with his levels so high there is really no way there is not something there.

Since here is a chance of SCL we are holding off on the pred. Pred I know makes SCL (small cell lymphoma) results become inaccurate as long as SCL is in the mix - we wait in case he does need a biopsy - which - I really hope is not going to be the case. Just like people though - chronic inflammation can cause cancers like this. Let's hope not. It's not a road I want to travel again anytime soon.

In 4 weeks we are retesting him - and - I nearly jumped for joy on it - but she would like the GI panel as well.

He's still eating and only tossed his cookies once 4 am sat morning. He's playing and seems to be more himself. So that's good. *knock on wood*