Cat On Cat Aggression

khaleesiNgandalf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats, (1) 4.5yo female, (1) 1.5yo male, both fixed. They’ve been together for over a year- and just this past week I came home to find them seriously fighting. I’ve had them separated since the incident, I’m feeding them on either side of the door, I’m switching them out of the secluded room, and we’ve tried playing with them on opposite sides of the room but the male cat keeps hissing and cowering from fear if the female cat looks at him for too long.

I took the female cat to the vet, she had a minor UTI that they treated. Her reactions to the male cat seem to be normal. He seems extremely scared of her.

I would very much appreciate any help you could give me. I have only been keeping them secluded for a week, how much longer would you suggest trying this “re-introduction” before trying something else?

I’ve also installed Feliway diffusers in the home and been spraying the Feliway spray near areas the cats frequent.

Last edited:

Espalia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s possible that being taken to the vet and treated caused your female cat to smell different and now your male cat views her as a stranger.

As far as the reintroduction goes, two weeks is usually a pretty good time period. Have you been swapping scents (switching their blankets/bedding)? You should be feeding them on either side of the door so they associate good feelings with the other cat as well. If she isn’t being aggressive towards him I would just give him the time he needs to settle down and reacclimatize to her presence. Take things slowly, it should be fine.

Also, maybe brush up on introductions with this guide to introducing cats:
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Since he is cowering, I would not keep them separated any longer unless the female is being aggressive towards him. He is fearful of her because of her smell after the vet visit but that usually wears off. Try feeding together and then let them interact and only separate if an actual fight occurs.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I too suspect that the reason for aggression could be that he now smells like the vet's office, so he now seems unfamiliar to your female. I know one person who takes both cats to the vet at the same time, no matter which cat has an appointment, just to prevent this from happening, so what your cats are experiencing is not uncommon. Something you can try to speed up the process is taking one of your t-shirts (one that you've worn- not washed yet), and pet your female with that- this could help get her smelling more familiar to your male.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with abyeb, although I once tried the 'both cats to the vet' scenario, and unfortunately they still went through this whole disliking each other thing for a while. :frown: Definitely worth a try though, next time.

Some people swear by a bit of vanilla on both cats to make them smell similar to each other.