cat on 3 foods???

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I need to just say Ive come here because ive had NO help with the 5 or so vets my 7 year old cat has seen....

Because of crystals 4 years ago - he has been eating Royal canin. I just switched to Purina rx and have mixed the two brands.... to make the switch over.

I brought in a stray 2 months ago who is eating the cheapest food that I feed 9 ferals (because of price). I really need to feed him somehting better - but cant afford 3 different foods....

Id like to have both house cats eat something like Chicken soup for soul and add apple cider vinegar for their urinary health.

Does this sound ok?

If so - because tigger is eating the 2 foods mixed... can i add this 3rd food NOW - and mix all 3?

THANKS!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Where are you located? You do honestly need a decent vet.. What have the vets you have seen said?

You have to be up front on the $$ issues and most vets will work with you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I live in south jersey at the beach. There are another 3 vets that I havent tried Im just getting sick of this - plus i feel a bit crazy about it.

The other vets have just said to keep him on the Rx food - but they sell the food. Ive been told on here that most vets wont talk about food either because they dont know much about it or... cause they only sell certain types.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prescription food is medicine - and, since there really aren't that many Walgreens for pets that can sell prescription food, most prescription food is indeed sold through vets' offices. I, for one, don't believe there's any huge mark-up on it, and, more importantly, if my cat has a condition that can be successfully treated by prescription food, that's the key thing to me. I haven't found that the prescription food is that much more costly than a mid-line premium - and certainly less expensive than a blocked cat.

My boy had struvite crystals and is now on Hills CD wet and dry - so far, so good, no crystals. My girl eats the same thing and, so far, she's fine too.

That said, in your case, I'd be up front with the vet re finances and work with him, not against him, in treating your cat.

Vets may not be certified feline nutritionists, but, they are trained in treating illnesses - and prescription food is one of the treatments they can use.

Good luck - I know it's tough, but my boy has been good on the prescription food, and for me, I really don't care where it comes from or if my vet makes a bit of profit on it. Is it possible for you to keep the one cat on his prescription food, and feed the other cat another food? I don't because mine are grazers and never fail to want what the other one has, but I've been told others have been able to separately feed their cats successfully.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with the above.. Are there sometimes alternatives to RX foods , Yes but they still usually are at least formulated by your vet ( usually a holistic one)

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well thanks for the info. I will use it. Actually the purina Rx is very reasonable.
So I will keep tigger on that.

I just have to find a good food for my new cat.... cause i can see keeping him on this cheap food could cause issues later.

thanks....

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless the new kitty has some special dietary needs, it shouldn't hurt to feed him the urinary food, too. Many do this because they either don't want to buy separate foods or because they don't want the kitty on the urinary health food getting into non script food.

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Now thar I found a better price rx food I guess I may as well.

I thought these rx foods weren't great nutrition wise though....

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by m935

I thought these rx foods weren't great nutrition wise though....
If they weren't why would you feed it to Tigger?
No, they're fully balanced. You can, and should (when you get a decent vet), ask your vet - they'll tell you much the same.

I have one on Hills C/D wet and dry. He's doing pretty good on it - even if the ingredients look iffy to me it keeps him healthy.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know - based on what some folks on the internet will tell you, the Hills CD doesn't look that great to me either, as a lay person - but, for me, if prescription food is keeping my boy healthy & happy, I'm happy. And my carpets are happy too.

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well it will be purina RX based on price for right now....

AND i should have mentioned Tigger is also very large. one of the reasons I wanted a 2nd cat was to give him a playmate. He looked like he was losing - but now is heavy again. I know this can kill him....

So thats another reason why i wanted to switch foods.... I do feed him small portions.... but it doesnt work - do these foods sometimes make cats heavy??

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you feeding according to the bag? If so are you feeding him to his current wt or his ideal wt? Weight loss is a Vet topic( I know not what you wanted to hear) as it needs to be done slow and with guidence