Cat Occasionally Pooping On Carpet?!

Tigerteddy55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

A little over a month ago, I adopted a 9 year old cat. For the first three weeks, he was eliminating entirely in his litter box with no problems.

About a week or so ago, he pooped on the basement carpet. The next day, he was fine and went in the litter box for a few days until the next poop.

After the second time, he began using the litter box again with no issues.

However, last night he urinated on the carpet. It was cleaned up and the carpet was steam cleaned and we blocked his access to this room.

This morning, I found a very small amount of poo in a different room, but he had used the litter box to poo and urinate in.

His litter box is cleaned twice daily. He has no problems with his litter box or the litter used, as he doesn't eliminate entirely onto the carpet. He is healthy and is the only animal in the house. Why would he be doing this, and what can I do to prevent him from using the bathroom on the carpet? Thank you!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you had him to the vet recently? Often the first sign of a Urinary, or constipation problem is inappropriate elimination. Seems to be their way of telling us something is wrong. I would have a vet check, both for urinary problems, crystals or an infection, and check into constipation as well. If there is a problem its best to catch it as early as possible. If he checks out healthy then look at other issues.

Is the litter box big enough? is it easy for him to get in and out of, he may be a little arthritic at his age? Is the box uncovered, some cats do not like covered boxes. Is the litter ok with him? dust free and no fragrance? I like the Abound grass litter i buy at Kroger, or the Litter maid walnut litter i get at walmart, these are fragrance free, dust free, and soft on paws.

Do keep us updated on him!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. And thank you for adopting an older cat. :petcat:

You might want to try putting out a second litter box. Some cats are quirky, and like to pee in one, and poop in another.

Is the poop you've found outside the litter box, normal? Or is it more diarrhea? Or dry, more like he is constipated? My Ruby occasionally has "accidents" when her digestion is off.

About the peeing, that could be a sign of a UTI. So a vet visit might be a good idea. Watch him, though, and see if he appears to be straining in the litter box.

The only way to ensure the pee smell is out of the carpet, is an Enzyme Cleaner.
How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions
Combat Cat Urine

Here's a few more articles that may be helpful. Please keep us updated.

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tigerteddy55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your replies!

He was given the all clear in April! Blood tests were great, no issues! I don't believe he is arthritic, as he has no issues jumping up on counters or the couch. He is showing no signs of any illness - no vomiting, no hard stool, and the urine clumps in his litter box are of a normal size. His litter is soft, with no dust or fragrances.

As for the stool found outside the litter box, it was normal - no blood, and it wasn't dry or hard.

He is also not straining or meowing in the box, either. And no accidents yesterday or today!! :yess: I don't believe he has any issues with the litter box itself or the room it's kept in, as I found him sleeping in the room last night! I will definitely be sure to get him into the vet, though!:)