Cat Obsessively Licks My Face

Danneq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
20231019_084853.jpg

Hello everyone, long time no post! This is Bodhi. I've had him and his sister since they were three months old. Bodhi is lovely and friendly and playful and that's all well and good. He'll be two in January!

The problem (so to speak) is that he is obsessed with licking faces. This is not a new behavior; he did it as a kitten, even before living with me. It's pretty bad. If I let him, he will literally scrape my face raw. (I only let him do this once, just as an experiment to see the extent of it.) He's very determined about it. If I push him away, he just comes back. Over and over again. Pushing him away also makes me feel bad, like I'm telling him I don't love him or something, but I don't know what else to do?

He'll also do it with complete strangers, so I think it's more like self soothing rather than affection? Either that or he's just so full of affection that he'll share it with stangers; I could believe that, he's a friendly lil' guy.

He does not overgroom himself. He would probably overgroom the other cats if they let him, but they don't; his sister turns it into playing and my older girl turns it into a fight. (Lots of yelling, very little actual violence. She's annoyed and not playing, but not actually trying to hurt him. She just has a personal space bubble that he's oblivious of lol.)

I have spoken to his vet and she does not think it's a health issue.

Thoughts? Advice? Solutions? It wasn't so severe I wouldn't be worried, but I can't let him rub my face off.

20231019_100226.jpg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only thing I can think of off of the top of my head is try to find a face cream with citrus oil in it. Cats loathe it, Just wash your hands very well after applying so that he doesn't avoid those, as well.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you tried offering your finger as a substitute and then using the finger he licks to groom him?

You could also try using a damp toothbrush to groom him.

I suggest this as turning it in to mutual "grooming" often makes Magnus very happy, and saves our skin.

This could be an anxiety behaviour. You could also try giving him luck mats with wet food either occasionally or as a way to serve his meal.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He is a very handsome little guy!

I would also be interested to hear if you've made any attempts to distract him and what the results are.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Danneq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have tried substituting fingers. He'll sometimes lick them a couple times and then return to the face. I do groom him back. Assuming you mean petting him? A brush is catnip to my older girl, she'd barge in. I do have an unopened toothbrush, so I could try that!

>_< I didn't even think of redirecting. I'll start storing toys and maybe treats in all the places I hang out most.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a girl who would do this on my forehead. I'd let her have a couple of licks but if too much (sometimes they gone into a "zone") then I would say "Oh, that's nice. Thank you." and push her face away. I'd sometimes have to do it couple times, but she'd get the hint and settle for a snuggle instead. Sounds like your guy might be more determined though!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have tried substituting fingers. He'll sometimes lick them a couple times and then return to the face. I do groom him back. Assuming you mean petting him? A brush is catnip to my older girl, she'd barge in. I do have an unopened toothbrush, so I could try that!

>_< I didn't even think of redirecting. I'll start storing toys and maybe treats in all the places I hang out most.
Yeah I just kind of offer Magnus my finger, let him lick it once or twice and then with just that finger I run it across the top of his head.

FriendofFerals

Cat Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a Maine Coon mix that was actually surrendered at the Humane Society for this reason! Knowing that I just can't discourage or punish him...redirect him, yes, but he's just showing affection the way he knows best. If I move around during the night, he seems excited I'm actually alive and wants to lick my entire face raw.I try to gently push him away, offer my arm or hand instead, and eventually he gets tired and stops. He will also do this (jump on my desk and position himself in front of my keyboard and computer) and start face-licking when he wants food. He gets fed at set times, so I don't fall for it. I try to redirect him instead.

When it's 3 AM and he's lying on my entire arm, purring loudly and licking my face, all I can think of is someone took him to a shelter because of this... some sleep lost, yes. It's annoying, but this is how he expresses love, as yucky as it is. I really do try to guide him away from my face (and hair...he chews on hair too) so he can lick my arm and hand. After a while, he gets tired and just falls asleep with his head on my arm.