Cat Nutrition/health Concern?

tissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wasn't sure what section to post this at but since my concern is health, I thought it would be appropriate to ask here.
One of our 3 cats really likes to eat stickers, scotch tape, glue part of the envelops...He does it quite often. Now that we are moving and packing he is all over the boxes chewing off the scotch tape. He has always done it for as long as I can remember but we tried to keep those things out of his way. Now with the moves, keeping boxes out of the way is impossible. So he chews on scotch tape a lot and swallows little pieces of it too sometimes.
WHY in the world does he do it??? And can it be very dangerous for him?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have heard off all kinds of stuff different cats eat. And, in general, an occasional piece of tape is probably not a big deal. There are members here who have talked about their cats eating tape. But, I would think there is going to be way TOO much tape for him to get to. I have no idea if it would work, but could you buy cat deterrent spray and use it on the boxes? Of course, the boxes shouldn't be near the litterboxes, food, toys, water, etc.

You can find them at Petco, PetSmart, Amazon, and probably many other places. At least you could buy and sample it on a box or two and see if it works.

The only other thing would be to place all of the boxes in a closed off room - even though it seems like you don't think that is possible.

BTW - My cats have chewed on plastic, rubber bands, string, tape, etc. but I am not sure they actually ate any of it, or if they did it wasn't enough to be an issue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I have heard off all kinds of stuff different cats eat. And, in general, an occasional piece of tape is probably not a big deal. There are members here who have talked about their cats eating tape. But, I would think there is going to be way TOO much tape for him to get to. I have no idea if it would work, but could you buy cat deterrent spray and use it on the boxes? Of course, the boxes shouldn't be near the litterboxes, food, toys, water, etc.

You can find them at Petco, PetSmart, Amazon, and probably many other places. At least you could buy and sample it on a box or two and see if it works.

The only other thing would be to place all of the boxes in a closed off room - even though it seems like you don't think that is possible.

BTW - My cats have chewed on plastic, rubber bands, string, tape, etc. but I am not sure they actually ate any of it, or if they did it wasn't enough to be an issue.
I never heard of such sprays but will check out tomorrow! Thank you! I need to go to a pet store anyways, so will definitely look. Thanks!