Cat Now Has Irrational Fear Of Other Cat....

hellz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just over 3 weeks ago my cats were playing and one scared the other so I had to separate them due to fighting. The older cat is pretty much over it but the younger cat seems to have built up an irrational fear of the other cat. His behaviour is totally normal when I'm with him, loving, friendly, playful, when the other cat isn't around but as soon as he sees or even hears the other cat he starts growling and runs and hides in fear. I have tried reintroducing them but trying to get him out of hiding to be around the other is impossible. I have feliway plugged in but it has made no difference. I want them to be friends again but I just don't know what to do. Can anyone help please?

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
How long did you keep them separated before trying a reintroduction?
It may be that you need to go extremely slow. Also, have you taken the one that's acting frightened to the vet? It may not be a bad idea to do so if you haven't - just to rule out any health concerns that may be adding to the fear of his former friend.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hellz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
At first a few days as that's how long its always taken before. Then 2 weeks. I don't have many doors in my house so I can't put them in rooms next to each other. I open the door a crack every now and then so they can see each other. No I haven't taken him to a vet but that will be my next option.