Cat Not Wanting to Jump

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello all!  It's been a while since I posted, but starting yesterday, I noticed something rather odd about my cat, Little Girl.

She has suddenly lost the desire to jump up on furniture and has gotten rather timid about it.  I noticed it when she didn't want to jump up onto the counter for her food.  I usually pick her up and place her up there when she hesitates, so I didn't really think anything of it.  Then, yesterday, I notice that she'll meow to get up on my lap and go so far as to place her front paws on me, but she will make a little bunny hop effort and then look at me like...okay, now you can pick me up!

Last night, she had no problem jumping up on the sofas to get into the windows.  She had no problem climbing into bed with me.  She still will not jump up to get her food.  Her back legs are functioning.  They are warm to the touch, so I don't think it could be a blood clot.  She still runs and plays and acts like herself.  No changes in eating or drinking.  No changes in her litter habits.

The only really big change in our household is that we have been having a lot of earthquakes lately and that makes her EXTREMELY nervous and skittish.  We had a 4.1 magnitude the other day and I found her burrowed under the covers not wanting to come out.  Since then, we've had about 7 earthquakes and aftershocks.  Is she simply scared. lazy, or does something like this warrant a trip to the vet?

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Aw, poor baby.  It could be the earthquakes making her insecure.  But how old is she--is there a chance she's developing arthritis?  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She just turned 7.  I don't think she has arthritis.  This literally happened over night and since those earthquakes.  And she was playing like crazy last night!  Jump on furniture and running around the room.  This morning, she's back to not wanting to jump.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just noticed tonight that Little Girl is scratching more at her ears.  Could this not jumping be caused by an ear infection?

kittyloverjane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Weemomma, I've been wanting to write you for weeks and let you know how Max is doing.  I hope you remember my post.  It was about histoplasmosis.  I just wanted to tell you that Max is doing really good right now.  He's gained weight and is eating great; has lots of energy and playing again with his buddy (Larry).  I've even gotten him to switch to wet food.

I'm sorry I don't have any ideas what could be wrong with your Little Girl.  How is she?  Keep me posted if you can.  I really appreciate your replies to my posts about the histo.