Cat Not The Same After Vaccines

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MayBinky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry this mess has occurred. Did you like your vet where you used to live? If so can you call him and email him pictures? since he knows your cat, he might be able to help until you find a new vet, or move to a better place.
I wish I had a long close relationship with a vet for that to be possible. I moved around a lot in Oregon and while he did see three different vets in three different Oregon cities, he never went to any of them more than once. My cat has never been sick before. He is always very healthy, so he has only been to the vet a total of six times in the ten years I've had him and all have been different vet locations. I always think the vet I take him to will be "the one" but something comes up and I have to relocate and start all over. But all the vets he went to in Oregon were great. it's just here in Ohio they all seem so shady, rude, uncaring, and money hungry. Not what I am used to.

MayBinky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For yourself, try some chamomile tea with honey, or try some holy basil. He'll pick up on your upset emotions, hang in there!! and you're right, he needs checked out for the lack of pooping :vibes::crossfingers: .
Thanks. I appreciate you talking to me.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But all the vets he went to in Oregon were great.
As mentioned, can you talk to one of them? Even if they saw him only once it still might be worth a try.

Would there be any chance one of your local vets would possibly be willing to consult with an Oregon vet?

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree with Furballsmom, if they were great try to get in touch with them. Again so very sorry this nightmare is happening to you and kit.

MayBinky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As mentioned, can you talk to one of them? Even if they saw him only once it still might be worth a try.

Would there be any chance one of your local vets would possibly be willing to consult with an Oregon vet?
Unless I am unaware of something, I am not even sure what the two vets would discuss. My cat has never been sick before. All his Oregon vet visits were for minor things like he got fleas twice despite being an indoor cat (my ex-husband had a dog at the time so that might have been how he got them), so two of those visits were just for flea medicine and the third one doesn't even have his records on file any longer because it was ten years ago when I first adopted him. I called them and they told me they do not hold onto files that old. His first vaccines were done before I adopted him at the shelter. I didn't realize cat vaccines needed to be done so frequently, however now I am wishing I never took him to the vet at all. So, Monday was his first time get vaccinated in ten years and also the first time he had ever had a steroid shot. I'm not sure if the vets in Oregon that gave me flea medicine would have much to discuss or help. What do you think?

MayBinky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Agree with Furballsmom, if they were great try to get in touch with them. Again so very sorry this nightmare is happening to you and kit.
Thanks for all the support. I do not have many people in my life to talk about this with.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
then you are at the right place. You can't go into too much detail here. You can even just say, "I need support. I need a virtual hug" and you'll get one.

Here's one ((((( ))))) and virtual pets for the kit ----- cuddle----

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was envisioning asking an Oregon vet if they've seen similar reactions to the steroid, that sort of thing. (If so, that could be a valid issue for your local vet to discuss) but even if not, I'd still want to see if an Oregon vet could give you any direction, if they'd be willing to do that, with what you can to do to help your cat.

MayBinky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was envisioning asking an Oregon vet if they've seen similar reactions to the steroid, that sort of thing. (If so, that could be a valid issue for your local vet to discuss) but even if not, I'd still want to see if an Oregon vet could give you any direction, if they'd be willing to do that, with what you can to do to help your cat.
OK. I will see what I can do. Thanks. That is my cat there in the profile box.

MayBinky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am awaiting a call back from the vet to see if they can get me in today but they have yet to return my call. In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get my cat to poop? I have read mixing water in with his food helps and also switching to wet food. I only ever feed him dry food. Just today I started him with some wet food and added water to it. His belly looks so bloated.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How is he today? It might be a little soon (that's another question for Oregon, how long this might last, if in fact this change in behavior is from the steroid) but are you seeing any changes in him?

How's the rash?
You could also try some chamomile tea - buy some at the grocery store, (garden grown chamomile isn't safe for cats), brew it, cool it and apply to the rash. This is anti fungal, anti bacterial, will ease discomfort and if your cat licks it, it is safe. It even has some calming properties although in this application not necessarily enough to have that effect for your cat.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just today I started him with some wet food and added water to it
This is good to help, good for you! and also see if you can get him to walk and jump - really work at this, if he lays down, disturb him to see if you can get him to walk around. Anything else at this point may not be of help as much as physical exercise and canned food with the extra water.

MayBinky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How is he today? It might be a little soon (that's another question for Oregon, how long this might last, if in fact this change in behavior is from the steroid) but are you seeing any changes in him?

How's the rash?
You could also try some chamomile tea - buy some at the grocery store, (garden grown chamomile isn't safe for cats), brew it, cool it and apply to the rash. This is anti fungal, anti bacterial, will ease discomfort and if your cat licks it, it is safe. It even has some calming properties although in this application not necessarily enough to have that effect for your cat.
His rash is totally gone. Hair is already growing back and he isn't licking it anymore. His behavior is awful. Like a zombie. He is not aggressive at all, but he doesn't like me to touch him or cuddle him anymore. He is still wanting food more than usual and eats his meal very fast, but he is not having bowel movements so that is why I was thinking I might have to return to the vet. He really needs to poop at least. But his behavior has been the same since Monday after the shot and has not improved.

MayBinky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is good to help, good for you! and also see if you can get him to walk and jump - really work at this, if he lays down, disturb him to see if you can get him to walk around. Anything else at this point may not be of help as much as physical exercise and canned food with the extra water.
OK. Yeah he is having trouble jumping. He used to love to jump on top the refrigerator. He tried to do this yesterday and his back legs gave out on the way down. He tries to be himself, but just cant. Thanks for the help.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Miralax can be given to cats. 1/4 teaspoon mixed into canned food might get things going. Do not give him fiber if he's already constipated; that just backs things up worse. After he's clear you could give Metamucil to keep him from becoming constipated though. If you get in, the vet may give him an enema to relieve the immediate problem.

8 Ways to Help Your Constipated Cat

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
might have to return to the vet. He really needs to poop at least.
I agree, hang in there! Hopefully they call you back soon and can get you in today - don't let them put you off - this many days of nothing is something they need to look at him about :crossfingers:

MayBinky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Miralax can be given to cats. 1/4 teaspoon mixed into canned food might get things going. Do not give him fiber if he's already constipated; that just backs things up worse. After he's clear you could give Metamucil to keep him from becoming constipated though. If you get in, the vet may give him an enema to relieve the immediate problem.

8 Ways to Help Your Constipated Cat
Oh my. Miralax...I took that once and it made me so sick and didn't even work, but my cat might have better luck with it. Thanks for the suggestion.