Cat Not Pooping In Litter Box But Still Peeing In It

cfsteven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my cats (~ 8 months old) was sick with diarrhea a few weeks ago and has since stopped using the litter box to poop but still uses it to pee. I feel like I have tried everything and nothing is working so am desperate for advice.

She is no longer sick and has consistently been having solid stools. I tried keeping her just in the bathroom with the box (and food etc) for almost 2 weeks after she was sick. I added a 2nd box with a different type of litter so she has options. One box has fine clumping litter (Natural Cat) with "cat attract" on top. The other has a natural pine litter with "rainforest cedar and moss" on top. Both are uncovered. I've tried different levels of litter in the boxes (1-2 inches vs 3-4 inches). I moved the box over where she was pooping. When the bathroom didn't work I moved one of the boxes to the living room to see if she just needed a new location. Her food is far away from the boxes. I put her poops in the litter from the floor to try to show her where they are supposed to go. I have tried repeatably placing her in the box (not making her stay in it though) and then giving her a treat. I am very diligent about keeping the boxes clean - I clean them twice a day and have completely washed them out and replaced the litter. Still no luck!! I've read that if they are going on carpet to put carpet in the box - but she is going on hard surfaces.

The only thing I haven't tried (but plan to) is using an enzyme cleaner to clean where she has gone on the floor. However, she hasn't been going in the same spot consistently so I'm not confident that this will be the solution.

My other cat is her mom (~1.5 yrs old) and so I don't think she is "guarding" the boxes so that her kitty doesn't feel comfortable using them. Especially since kitty will still use both to pee.

My apartment is small and quiet so is not a stressful environment. I only got these guys about 6 weeks ago so she could still be adjusting, but I did keep them in the bathroom only for the first week to help with the adjustment. She is very happy otherwise.

Any tips are very much appreciated!!!!! Thanks!!

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
The diarrhea probably triggered it,and you seem to generally be doing the right things.

maybe try a third box in a different location?

hugpooky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Where is she pooping instead? Try using cat attract litter (not mixed) in one litter box. I had to use 2 huge plastic storage containers for my cat. I cut an entrance in the front.

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat had a simaler problem, but constipation was the initial cause. I don't have any advice, as my cat has still not returned to the box for #2, but I wanted to post to follow this!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I suspect that when your girl was sick it hurt to poop, especially if her bum was raw from it, and she connected the pain with the box - pooping elsewhere in the hopes it would make the pain stop. Whilst she's physically fine now, she still has that mental association, and it's that that's making her poop out the box.

Get a new box of a totally different shape, style and design, and get a brand new type of litter too...or even line the box with puppy pee pads. Set this box up in a different area of the house, well away from the other's and in as different-feeling a location as possible. The idea is to make the whole experience feel as different as possible to break the pain association link.

Show her where this new box is, and maybe even put some of her poop in there at the start to give her the idea if she's slow to catch on. Hopefully this will help her move past her bad experience and go back to pooping in the box.

She might benefit from some Feliway too, to reduce her anxiety, and maybe even a food based calmer like Composure too, just for the retraining period.

Good luck. I hope she's back pooping in the box again very soon :vibes: