Cat Not Mating

Maaz shaikh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi this is my cat related question
Actually my male cat is 5 year old and not mated before but recently I bought a female for him to mate but two heats cycle have passed of the female still the male cat is not interested in mating with the female the female show all the signs of mating when the male is near and also accepts the male but the male is not interested in mating plz suggest any method or medication to work this out i am worried with the condition of my make cat since two months

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have to ask-are your cats purebred? Have they been health tested? Would they contribute something to the breed?

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not an expert either but from what I've read sometimes animals just dont want to breed, not all males make great studs or maybe he just doesn't like her. Its not ever 100 percent that even if the two are technically healthy they will mate. Could it also be possible they have mated and you haven't seen it? Maybe he is not potent.

SunflowerCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a cat like this once and he just had 0 interest in it. We didn't really have any available females but he wouldn't spray, mount anything, or battle for territory like a normal unneutered tom would. The few times he was around an unspayed female he wanted to wrestle instead! It could be a hormonal problem or maybe his testes are underdeveloped(had a cat with this problem once too). Like the poster above me said, some cats just don't mate or they're doing it when you aren't around. Ask a vet and see what they think.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm not a breeder and can't help with your question. What breed are your cats? Do you have a mentor who could help out? Both CFA and TICA have mentoring programs.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible your male was castrated by a previous owner? If he's been a pleasant companion for 5 years this may be the case.

At any rate, it's probably for the best. Just have the female spayed too, and enjoy a happy kitty family! :D

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with Katie M Katie M on this one - why do you want your cats to mate? Are you trying to become a breeder? If so, you need to have both cats tested to make sure that they won't pass on dangerous genes to the next generation; this is a major problem with purebred cats because of the amount of inbreeding involved in establishing a new breed.

Becoming an established, reputable breeder takes a lot of planning, hard work, and money; it isn't something you just do for fun.

If both your cats aren't purebred (and the same breed) the only result of a successful mating will be unwanted kittens, competing with other unwanted kittens for a loving home. Please don't do that.

Margret

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cats don't need to mate and it won't enhance their lives. You are actually risking their health.

Please get them both spayed and neutered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maaz shaikh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Actually my cat is of persian breed

Maaz shaikh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Both are of persian breed i want them to matr because My cats didn’t have a litter of kittens for long time

SunflowerCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Both are of persian breed i want them to matr because My cats didn’t have a litter of kittens for long time
Are you trying to get into breeding? You should do some research first and if not, you should have both cats spayed/neutered. Kittens can be a lot of work and there's already a ton out there as is. Also, if they get sick(or the entire litter does which can happen) it might be expensive to treat if it's anything beyond a cold. Like others have said, it'll be better for both cats in the long run. If you want a little of kittens badly enough, maybe you could try looking into fostering some or adopting a pair that's ready for a new home.

Maaz shaikh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Both are persian breed i want to breed them because i want some kittens and my family also wants some kittens

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a Persian breeder. My only reason for breeding is to improve the breed, not to produce more pets. However if you are going to do it, PLEASE be certain that the health testing is done first. Have them checked for heart issues and also for PKD (polycystic kidney disease), both of which are killers. They need to be over all healthy and well nourished. Be aware that Persian kittens can be difficult to birth and may require a surgical intervention, which is dangerous for the female and the kittens. While Persians can be very slow to mature reproductively, I have never heard of a 5 year old intact male not being interested. He may just not care for the female. It sometimes happens.

Maaz shaikh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there any method to boost the testosterone level in cat

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i want to breed them because i want some kittens and my family also wants some kittens
My apologies for being blunt, but those are ridiculous reasons for breeding. Go to your local shelter. You'll find more than enough kittens to satisfy you and your family.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah I would just get both spayed/neutered and find kittens at a local shelter...

Maaz shaikh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for replying to my thread and giving your reliable advice