Cat Not Losing Weight After Food Reduced

pusheen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I adopted a 12-year-old Siamese, Chris, a while back who weighed 17 lbs. Since I've had him, I've switched his diet entirely to wet food from the dry food his previous family gave him, and he's come down to 15.5 lbs. My vet says he should be at 10 to 11 lbs, and so I've now been reducing Chris's food intake.

Before September 5, 2017, he was getting about 8.25 ounces of high-quality, grain-free, wet food per day. I reduced this to 7.5 ounces, saw a weight loss from 15.5 lbs to 15.3 lbs over two weeks. This amounts to about 5 ounces lost over two weeks. I then waited a week to ensure his weight was steady and decreased his food to 6 ounces per day (two 3 oz cans spread out into three meals) on October 6, 2017. Two weeks later he had lost another few ounces to reach 15.1 lbs. I kept him on two 3 oz cans, but when I weighed him yesterday he was back to 15.3 lbs.

I do have a second cat, but they both eat their food in one sitting, and so I don't believe Chris is getting an extra meal anywhere. Overall, I'm just concerned that cutting his food down to 6 oz per day, from 8.25, hasn't resulted in a more significant decrease. My understanding was that cats can and should lose about 1 lb a month, and Chris, at less than 200 calories per day, is maintaining his 15 lb weight.

He is sedentary, for the most part. He doesn't run around, but he plays, and he goes for walks outside. Should I be decreasing his food to 4.5 oz per day, which would amount to about 120 calories per day? At what point have I tipped into decreasing his food too much?

Thanks for the help!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the first thing I'd do is closely supervise mealtimes for a while (or feed the two cats in separate rooms). It's amazing how good some cats are at getting more than their allotted portion (little tricks like swapping bowls whilst eating :devilcat:). I'd want to make absolutely certain that Chris was only getting his own portion of food before reducing further.

Also, when did Chris last see the vet? (it's unclear from your post). Especially if it's been a while, I'd want to double check that everything was as it should be, and that there's nothing physical going on that's affecting his weight loss.

Overall, though, it sounds like you're doing a great job with Chris, and he's really lucky to have found you :clap:

@mschauer has a lot of experience with slimming down obese cats. You may find her thread helpful: Mickey, my 27 lbs foster and his journey back to a healthy weight

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I wouldn't go lower than 150 calories per day with him. Maybe try taking him for MORE walks, since that seems to be his only exercise for the moment.

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I personally wouldn't drop calories again based on 1 weigh in. We are on a weight loss journey over here too and have had some weird fluctuations according to the scale along the way! I figure just like humans, sometimes it can vary depending on when you ate last, used the bathroom last, how much sodium you've had etc!

My cat was 15.4 for a while and suddenly went back up to 15.6. I was so confused because she's an only cat so no way she was getting food anywhere else! Suddenly the next week she was 15 even... I know she didn't drop from 15.6-15 even so quickly. It was a weird scale malfunction or she hadn't used the bathroom + just eaten the last time we weighed her or something.

Same thing is happening here again right now. I just weighed her a couple days ago and she was back up from the 15 even to 15.3. I'm not freaking out and changing her food routine yet. I'll see where she is next weigh in.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
15 pounds is not really a lot of weight if he is longer and taller. I think cats weights should be determined individually just like for humans and i would be very wary of a vet setting a guideline for all cats to fall into. My orange tabby boy is around 14 pounds and if he weighed 10-11 he would just be a bag of bones because he is tall and long. If your cat has a waist i wouldnt be concerned.