Cat Not Lively

reiyana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I adopted a 3.5 year old grey tabby a week ago (we do not have other pets in the household) and feel a bit concerned  because he isn't very lively or willing to play with us. I'm not sure if it's because he's still getting used to the new family, not feeling well or that is just his personality, which brings me to my question - is it common for cats to be not lively and active?

He's not hostile to us and doesn't try to hide from us; just barely willing to play and prefers to sit by himself during his waking hours. We've tried a variety of toys (boxes, fishing rods, balls, catnip bubbles, laser pointer), without too much success. He is eating normally and is sleeping a good chunk of the day. I also don't notice any other signs of illness, except for a little constipation.

Your advice is much appreciated!

recomper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From where u adopted him, was he active? Some cats like to chill and not bother.

catwithmycoffee

Six Cats Crazy Cat Parents
Young Cat
Purraise
If you've only had him for a week then he's still adjusting to his new environment. He may also be a naturally laid-back cat, too. 

When we first brought home Sam and Lizzie (two of our rescues) it took the better part of 4 months for them to start relaxing enough to even want to play.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reiyana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for both of your input. I think he's always been more chill and hopefully he'll warm up to us more in the future :)