Cat Not Keen On Eating Wet Food From Fridge

Selarah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I have a cat that refuses to eat wet food that comes straight from the refridgerator, unless it comes to room temperature again. I've tried warming it up faster with sitting his bowl in hot water, but he isn't keen about that either. He will only eat it if I let it come to room temp naturally. Is this something I should avoid doing? I noticed it took 30+ mins for it to warm up again, but I don't want to risk him being exposed to more bacteria. Should I spend more and buy the smaller cans to avoid any risks? Thanks!

leechi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do that too, and I think it's perfectly safe. Sometimes when I leave my kitten some canned food for while I'm at work, she doesn't eat it and my adult cat eats it when I get home before I pick it up, even though it's been sitting out for hours. It's never made her sick :rolleyes2:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he eat it all in one sitting? If so I think it would be safe. To be honest sometimes food gets left out for a few hours at my house before it's all eaten. They have ALL (3 cats) been fine with this.

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I actually do this too...
We open a 5.5 can of food in the evenings and feed half of it for "dinner" then put the other half in the fridge for the next morning. In the morning, I pull it out of the fridge and let it come to room temp while I'm getting ready. It sits out about 45 minutes before I feed it to her. She eats it all in one sitting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Selarah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He will JUST be able to finish a 3oz can in one sitting (sometimes not all of it), no way able to eat a full 5.5 oz can. I just bought a case of 5.5oz cans and fed him half of it, which he ate all and refridgerated the rest. I tried feeding him the other portion and he had non of it until it was room temp :lol: And yes, he eats it all in one sitting once its at the right temp.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
What about adding some warm water? Will he eat it right away then?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's safe to leave canned food out while you're gone for work even. No worries about 30 min.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven’t tried that yet
If that doesn't work then I think it's fine to just leave it till it hits room temperature, but I wouldn't fill it with warm water and let it sit out. Either do one or the other.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I second adding some warm water. I usually add hot water because the cold of the food from the fridge and the hot of the water usually cancels each other out to be warm once it's all mixed together.

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I have a cat that refuses to eat wet food that comes straight from the refridgerator, unless it comes to room temperature again. I've tried warming it up faster with sitting his bowl in hot water, but he isn't keen about that either. He will only eat it if I let it come to room temp naturally. Is this something I should avoid doing? I noticed it took 30+ mins for it to warm up again, but I don't want to risk him being exposed to more bacteria. Should I spend more and buy the smaller cans to avoid any risks? Thanks!
You mentioned sitting your cat's bowl in hot water. My cat sitter/groomer/vet tech taught me a slightly different warming technique for canned food: sitting the can, with the plastic Kitty Kap lid still on it, in a small dish of hot water (the dish is just slightly bigger than the can, and the water comes about two-thirds of the way up the outside of the can). It takes only about five minutes to take the chill off the leftover food.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do this every single day, let it warm up on the plate on the counter for 15-20 minutes. I've left it out for up to 3 hours before. After that it gets kinda crusty and I throw it away.

Selarah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You mentioned sitting your cat's bowl in hot water. My cat sitter/groomer/vet tech taught me a slightly different warming technique for canned food: sitting the can, with the plastic Kitty Kap lid still on it, in a small dish of hot water (the dish is just slightly bigger than the can, and the water comes about two-thirds of the way up the outside of the can). It takes only about five minutes to take the chill off the leftover food.
I actually don’t have a plastic kitty cap thing, but I ought to get one! Good too, I’ll try that too.

Selarah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good tip*