Cat Not Jumping After Dental

alana0011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I lose track of time, but I really think it's been two weeks since Amber had her dental. She had one tooth extracted. She was always getting up in the bed with me at night, and unless I put her up there now, she doesn't jump. She is eating and acting normally in every other way. After the blood work, the vet told me that she is probably in the early stages of renal failure, which I've dealt with before, but her not jumping on the bed is unusual. I don't know how old she is, but I have had her for years.
Any ideas?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure she is drinking plenty of water, set several small bowls of water around to get her curious, and hopefully drink. Maybe get her on a renal canned wet food diet. Many cats develop early renal disease when they are older, and the stress of a vet visit can screw up their labs too. Her not jumping either means she has slightly hurt herself and it hurts, or her mouth is becoming infected and it hurts to jump. If at all possible try to see in her mouth. She may be developing arthritis too is she is older. Get her a heated cat pad to lay on under a small fleece blanket, that may help. As long as she is eating/drinking/using the litter box, that is a good sign. if she stops eating or starts hiding, bring her to a vet.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm thinking it may hurt her to jump, and that it's something in her mouth, since it coincides with her dental. Like an infection at the extraction site. Did she go back in for the follow-up visit? Usually those are around the two week mark. I would take her in just to have her mouth rechecked to make sure everything healed up the way it should have. But with that, is would typically hurt jumping down, rather than up. Does she get OFF the bed without issue?

Other than that, my last kidney cat continued to jump up on the kitchen counters, which are certainly higher than a bed, so I wouldn't think it would be early kidney disease that might cause it. Is she limping at all? Did the Vet mention arthritis at all? I suppose you could try using Cosequin and see if that helps

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alana0011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking it may hurt her to jump, and that it's something in her mouth, since it coincides with her dental. Like an infection at the extraction site. Did she go back in for the follow-up visit? Usually those are around the two week mark. I would take her in just to have her mouth rechecked to make sure everything healed up the way it should have. But with that, is would typically hurt jumping down, rather than up. Does she get OFF the bed without issue?

Other than that, my last kidney cat continued to jump up on the kitchen counters, which are certainly higher than a bed, so I wouldn't think it would be early kidney disease that might cause it. Is she limping at all? Did the Vet mention arthritis at all? I suppose you could try using Cosequin and see if that helps
Thank you! You offer some good suggestions. The vet did suggest that it could be arthritis when I mentioned it to her. She called me yesterday to let me know how another of my cats did with their dental. (lots of dentals these days!) She gets off the bed without issue, but she won't jump on the bed. The only time she really jumped was at night to get in bed with me. She walks fine and does not limp.
Happy New Year!