Cat Not Going Toilet

GataCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all,

My 4-year-old male Indoor-Outdoor cat has recently been confined to the house after the treatment of an abscess as he is on a course of antibiotics. The only problem is he has never used a litter tray in his life, and its nearly been 48 hours since he has expressed anything (number 1 or 2). I’m getting pretty worried now and I have tried placing some house plants around it to no avail.

Is this a case of him just being nervous/untrained or due to a health issue?

blueorchid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:wave3:Hello!

Question-Is he straining to go or just ignoring the litterbox? If he is straining or having difficulty going to the bathroom that would be an emergency.
I am guessing he just doesn't know where to go since he's never used a litterbox. My advice would be to make the litterbox similar to where he goes outside ;) Add some dirt from outside or potting soil and he may identify it as a place to go potty. Dr. Elsey's
also makes a Cat Attract litter or you can just buy the additive and add it to your litterbox- here's what I'm talking about Cat Attract™ Litter Additive - Dr. Elsey's.

Hope this helps!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GataCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah i've tried placing him in the litterbox and adding soil, hes pretty much ignoring it otherwise aha. I will try the attract litter though!, funny thing is he is acting normal besides the toilet issue and i've gently pressed his tummy and he doesnt seem in pain.
I will take him to the vets as a precaution though, fingers crossed its nothing serious :(

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried confining him to a smaller area with the litter box?

GataCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
20170907_062004.jpg

Went with everyone's suggestions and added some cover for him (quite the art installation) he's slightly more interested but still not a fan . Currently confined him to this little room for a while. Let's pray.

Attachments

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is that non-clumping litter? Sometimes it can be hard to tell with that type of litter if they went pee, since there aren't any clumps. If he hasn't urinated in 2 or 3 days it really is an emergency with cats, their bladder could burst. Did you check the carpets/floors/furniture to see if there are any wet spots?

GataCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: Took him to the vet and he got a catheter and enema to relieve himself. they didn't see any blockages and everything came back clear so the situation was purely psychological. Hopefully the removal of his collar and different litter will help him go from now on. Thanks for your help everyone :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was his bladder very full? Is it possible the cat was relieving himself elsewhere in your home?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you took him to the vet! Let us know how it goes now that the collar is off.