Cat Not Getting Used To Staying Inside - Long Post - So Sorry.

danushka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!! I'm sure this has been a question that has been posed many times on this site, but I think sometimes there are different circumstances.

I have a 4 year old (best guess by vet) male neutered cat (we neutered one year ago). He used to belong to a neighbor who had a dog door and the cat came and went as he pleased. They didn't ever keep him in the house. For two years, he came to our house for treats and food (we feed all strays) and within the last year, we would let him come inside when it was cold, but he didn't stay very long. I have four other cats. They all seemed to get along for the most part. He showed up one day with an injured paw, open cut and swollen considerably. I found out from another neighbor who owned him and she called the owners to let them know he was injured. Their response was that they hadn't seen him for several months and figured he was dead. So when I told my husband, he said we're taking him to the vet and while we're at it, we'll get him neutered and keep him. The previous owners didn't seem to care, according to the neighbor. Fast track to now. He has been inside with us for not quite a year and he still cries to go outside. He'll scratch at the door and paces from room to room and window to window. He plays with the other cats and has gotten a little better at being inside for a little while, but then if he sees a cat outside or if a door is opened, he wants to go out. He'll go around from door to door meowing like he's crying because he's trying to escape. I have six litter boxes scattered around our three floor house and I have two cat trees and lots of toys and I grow my own catnip and kitty grass for my cats. I have dry food out but feed them small portions of wet food twice a day, as they (especially the male) seem to like it. I play with him to keep him occupied when I'm not at work. I thought that once he was neutered, he would calm down and enjoy being inside. But, it's just not working. He even bit me one time because I picked him up from the back door when he spied an outside cat. None of my other cats go outside and I don't like cats going outside because I know the dangers lurking out there. Is it possible that he still has testosterone even after being neutered that hasn't gone away yet and he's still looking to mate???? Am I being cruel by not letting him go back outside since that it was he knew growing up and is missing being able to roam the great outdoors? I almost want to let him out but I don't know if he'll come back because he'll probably think he has his freedom back and there's now way he's coming back to that crazy lady :) Can anyone give me any suggestions??? Thank you so much for reading.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would you consider putting a harness on him & taking him for a stroll every day? You can even buy cat strollers for this purpose.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danushka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought about a cat harness and taking him for a walk but I'm afraid he'll squirm out of it and then he'll be gone.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought about a cat harness and taking him for a walk but I'm afraid he'll squirm out of it and then he'll be gone.
It's a difficult issue & you've certainly done your best for him. I don't know what I would do since every cat I've brought inside has been happy to stay inside. I hope someone will come along here who can help you more.

maddies momma

TCS member, Crazy Cat Lady!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wonder if he is missing his original home, and feels the need to get out because he "has to get home". But yes best solution would be outside time in controlled, supervised environments.

danushka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's a difficult issue & you've certainly done your best for him. I don't know what I would do since every cat I've brought inside has been happy to stay inside. I hope someone will come along here who can help you more.
Thank you. I hope so too.

danushka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wonder if he is missing his original home, and feels the need to get out because he "has to get home". But yes best solution would be outside time in controlled, supervised environments.
I guess I never thought he may be missing his other home. From what I've been told, they never paid much attention to him and he was outside more than inside. Especially considering the fact that when I did let them know he was injured and needed medical attention, their response was that they hadn't seen him for months and thought he was dead.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Then I would seriously consider a cat stroller. I have a feeling he would love it. Just to know that you will take him outside maybe once a day would probably satisfy his cravings.

danushka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awwwwww how cute is that. I'll look into it. I have Amazon Prime :) Thank you for your help.

danushka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wanted to show off a picture of my cat in question for this thread. Sylvester. Sylly is his nickname.

Attachments